Southern Holsters

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by Malum Prohibitum, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I really was hoping to save up and get a matching custom belt and holster, so I was disappointed to hear that Southern Holsters (new web site) is ceasing production of belts.

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I was starting to wory a little about Tom at Southern Holsters. It's been almost 2 months since I ordered the holster for my M&P9. I got an e-mail from him last night saying that due to the custom touches (I ordered it a week before he stopped doing custom work)that I wanted, it's a little more involved than normal. He's already made two that he wasn't happy with, and is working on number three.

3. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

I ordered a IWB holster and mag carrier from Tom after the GCO auction. (I mentioned that was a reason I ordered one and thanked him :) ). I know the usual turn around time is a month but I'm starting to get excited when I check the mail. Kinda like Ralphie when he gets his decoder! :D

4. Southern Holsters

Southern Holsters New Member

Sorry about that MP. It's just a change in the way I am trying to do business. Trying to stay different from the rest of the makers in that I want to keep orders out the door in 4 weeks and not offer everything.

To do this I had to stop taking orders for making custom holsters beyond my 2 basic designs along with the belts. I am going to try to keep some "In Stock" holsters for the most popular pistols though.

I chose to make the custom holster for Adam5 because he has ordered several items from me in the past and he hit me up just as I stopped doing customs. It was hard for me to say no, but should have, seeing that it is now day 57 and, like he said, I'm on revision 3 because I haven't liked the results so far. But he's the only one out that far.

Pyromaster, your order is being worked on and will ship out this coming week.

I don't advertise but yet I have enough work to keep me busy. The good thing about my new site is I have access to the stats to see where the business is coming from. It's from people like Adam5 that mention my holsters in forums, and for that I am thankful.

Well, just thought I'd drop in a right a note. I try to read the forum everyday but responding takes more time that I usually have.

And if any of you haven't noticed, GCO and GaPacking are getting some advertising (and it will continue) on my site via banners at the bottom of my pages. Just doing what I can to help.

Thanks,

5. tony218

tony218 New Member

what would you take for one of adam's rejects?
    do you make any with a thumb break?

6. Southern Holsters

Southern Holsters New Member

The rejects are are not of quality because the leather gets bent this way and that, stitches removed to try doing it this way and that. Snaps drilled out. Do I need thinner or thicker leather here? There? So the leather becomes soft and is full of holes. But for you , $50...:lol:

What I'm working on for Adam is one I used to offer which is the Southern Ghost and incorporating a thumb break. But to answer your question, no. Not based on the way I have changed doing business. I am trying to fill this void in custom holster making of quality and a short time frame. And the only way for me to do this, is to limit the models available and limit the options.

I am not targeting the one year wait, one-off custom, $100 holster crowd. I'm targeting those that want to carry concealed in a quality holster and get that holster in a reasonable time frame and not break the bank.

Thanks

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I like your new site. It's much different than last time I visited.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:woohoo:

9. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I just put in an order for a Savannah for my G21.

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Well....... It looks like my next holster won't come from Souther Holsters. If I get the Taurus Mill Pro Sat, I'm just gonna get a cheap $15 Uncle Mike's nylon IWB for it.

Of course, I'll only use it until I can get Tom to make one of his 'Memphis' holsters for it. :D

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I got th e-mail this morning. The new Holster for my M&P is on the way !!!

:woohoo:

12. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Congrats! Please bring it to the next Cumming shoot so I can check it out.

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I will. I still need to order one for my 1911, but will probably order one for my Taurus Millenium Pro first. Of course, I do need to get the Mill Pro first, but I'll take care of that Sat morning. 8)

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Orry about the bad pic, but here's the custom holster that Tom made for me. It's his 'Memphis' IWB holster with a closed bottom and a thumb break. I wanted the thumb break for IWB open (would that be semi open?) carry. It's for my full size M&P-9. The bottom of it is curved slightly to match the curvature of your leg.

[​IMG]

15. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

That looks fantastic! I wish he was still taking custom orders :(