South Florida Man Dies After Getting Punched - NYC

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Phil1979, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I recently treated a patient who had a subarachnoid hemorrhage with a 15mm midline shift (that’s BAD, for those of you who don’t know) from a single uppercut punch. We referred him to LifeLink for organ donation.

It was like something out of a movie.

3. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Since this was in NYC I doubt the victim would have had a gun on him. Although the guy that hit him probably did.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I think our law of self-defense should be revised so that you can shoot anybody who is threatening to beat you up empty-handed. I know very well that a single punch from an adult male can kill, and any punch or push that knocks you down on a hard surface can cause a fatal head or neck injury when you hit the ground .

However, our laws are not written that way. The jury instructions a judge will tell the jury will be that you cannot use excessive force in response to the threat you see.

Thus, almost everybody including the prosecutor, the judge, and the jurors will interpret that to mean that you can't use a deadly weapon against a person who is empty-handed.

That's a loophole in our legal system we should have the legislature close.

5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Agreed.

6. onenil

onenil Member

7. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Kinda hard to feel bad for the guy reading that second article. Was intoxicated and had already struck someone else...

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Finding out the rest of the story does shed some light on the situation. I'd convict the guy of manslaughter now instead of murder.