South Carolina Reciprocity

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=2524

Friday, January 12, 2007

The 117th South Carolina General Assembly convened this week, and pro-gun State Representative Greg Delleney (R-43) has introduced legislation to make South Carolina a straight recognition state for Right-to-Carry (RTC) permits.

H 3212 would remove from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) the authority to arbitrarily determine which permits issued by other states will be recognized in South Carolina. Instead, H 3212 would mandate that all valid RTC permits be recognized in South Carolina. This legislation will not only greatly increase the number of permits issued by other states that will be honored in South Carolina, but will also increase the number of states that will recognize a South Carolina permit.

Please contact your State Representative at (803) 734-2402 and urge him or her to cosponsor this critical legislation. You may also want to take a moment to thank Representative Delleney for his efforts to promote our Right to Keep and Bear Arms and our right to personal protection.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I hope they have better luck with that this year than last year.

3. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun New Member

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I hope they get it through.....

5. kkennett

kkennett New Member

:p That would be awesome. I wonder if it'll be any different this year. SC is one of the hardest states to get, but I am there quite frequently.

6. kkennett

kkennett New Member

In fact it passed by a roll call vote of 100-2 in the House. Nice margin. Referred to the Senate Judiciary committee, then to subcommittee, which has taken no action thus far, as I can see.

FYI - they meet through the first Thursday in June, then for a couple of days later in the month to consider vetoes. Thus, there is still plenty of time over there, unlike in GA.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Good stuff since I'm only about an hour or so from the SC border. Ya never know when you're going to have to make a trip over there for something.

8. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob New Member

9. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I travel to SC on ocassion so this would be nice indeed.

10. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Just three days ago I emailed the chairman of that subcommittee on H 3212, asking him to push it along. Surely I can take credit for this 8)
    In SC, the bill takes effect as soon as it's signed by the gov. This could be a reality relatively shortly. It needs to pass the full Judy Comm and then the Senate. I believe the current gov will clearly sign it. Given that I'm from SC and my family is all over the state, this will help me immediately.

11. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Man I have been holding my breath for a long time on this state. I only visit occasionally but, my in-laws may move there and I might have to go more often.

Please oh please. We need SC and Arkansas and we can fill in some of the holes in the south. :)

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

\:D/ :wink:

13. kkennett

kkennett New Member

In the May 9th SC Senate Journal, this bill was reported favorably to the entire Senate, without amendment. The journal said it was up for consideration tomorrow, but I cannot find anything about votes on the 10th.

I quoted Broadside because someone on that glocktalk thread (where I'm not registered) miscopied some bill text and they got off on a tangent thinking the bill only covered possession in a car. That's just wrong. Here is the current text of the bill.
    http://www.scstatehouse.net/sess117_200 ... 070509.htm

14. kkennett

kkennett New Member

OK, so the bills just get carried over on the daily calendar if they're not considered. 3212 is still there on the current calendar, under 2nd readers, favorably reported. A note has been added that Senator Knotts desires to be present when the bill is considered. He is a Repbulican, on the Judiciary comm, whose bio says he's retired law enforcement, SLED firearms instructor, CWP instructor, DEA, fugitive squad, blah, blah, blah. I don't know what his hangup is, but I'm going to guess that he's going to say that a bunch of yahoo states like GA have no training requirements, thus this shouldn't be passed. Job protection for himself, sounds like. Anyway, hopefully it will be considered and passed.

15. Foul

Foul New Member

This is one reason I have refused to step foot in SC.
    It would be nice to add a State to the "May Visit" column.

16. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I hope this passes, especially for all of the folks that live along the state line.

17. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Well, the SC Senate exerted themselves today, meeting from 11:00 to 11:18 today. No movement on H 3212.