Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a good ole boy obviously openly carrying in SC recently, in the country of course, plenty of people around too, nobody seemed to notice but me. We shared a casual nod. I say obvious as he was putting his shirt to the inside after every adjustment as he was moving a lot. Anyway, it's still illegal in SC right? That didn't change yet did it?

No badge, and no way this guy was LE. Cheap gun, too.

Kinda glad to see it honestly.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
Bill number?

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,349 Posts
No. SC required concealed.

Nemo

·
Gun pecan
308 Posts
Where was he? Open carry allowed when hunting and fishing, including going to and from.
Florida yes, South Carolina no.
SC 16-23-20 Unlawful Carrying of Handgun; Exceptions.
It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

Has nothing about Open carry in it.

FL 790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.â€"
(1) DECLARATION OF POLICY.â€"The Legislature finds as a matter of public policy and fact that it is necessary to promote firearms safety and to curb and prevent the use of firearms and other weapons in crime and by incompetent persons without prohibiting the lawful use in defense of life, home, and property, and the use by United States or state military organizations, and as otherwise now authorized by law, including the right to use and own firearms for target practice and marksmanship on target practice ranges or other lawful places, and lawful hunting and other lawful purposes.
(3) LAWFUL USES.â€"The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;
790.053 Open Carrying of Weapons.
(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,932 Posts
The good ole SC country boy who was openly carrying his holstered pistol out in a country area probably didn't much care for city slicker politicians telling him he couldn't do that.

If I was a police officer in SC and saw him doing it, I would have just said, "howdy", and let him be.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The good ole SC country boy who was openly carrying his holstered pistol out in a country area probably didn't much care for city slicker politicians telling him he couldn't do that.

If I was a police officer in SC and saw him doing it, I would have just said, "howdy", and let him be.
I think that was everyone's feelings on it, nothing but good ole country boys out that way :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.