South Carolina and Florida reciprocity questions

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by ZTC, Mar 29, 2017.

1. ZTC

ZTC Member

So I'm looking into South Carolina and Florida as some possible vacation destinations and wanted to make sure I was OK to carry in those states. I've done some Internet searching and have found conflicting info and I don't know which sites are up to date.

Any help would be great

Thanks

2. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

South Carolina recently added Georgia, so you are good to carry on your GWCL. Florida has lon recognized Georgia. Both states have different laws as to how and where you can carry. When you are in a different state, you must follow their rules, even when you are carrying on a Georgia permit.

I suggest handgunlaw.us as a good web site to learn what is different about each state. The technical details may seem minor now, but they won't be when you have to explain your error to the po-po.

3. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Deep cover is still required in Fl. No printing or any such.

Nemo

4. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Printing isn't foreboden in FL. In fact, a Florida resident actually carried his pistol "openly" in an OWB holster covered with a fabric (like the "Glock sock" used by Texans before they got open carry of handguns) that has a printing of a pistol graphic on it. And carried it past several deputies who gave him no trouble. This was near the Tampa area.

Also, in Florida you can openly carry your mag carrier even if the ammo itself is exposed.

This will be an effective and open means of protest, along with P-38 holsters that close with a lid to hide your firearm.

All the Florida statute requires is that the gun itself is hidden from view.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i75xaDW-ko&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

5. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

A decent resource for information on reciprocity, and pertinent laws is www.handgunlaw.us

The issues I look into first and foremost when I travel are:
    reciprocity
    if no reciprocity, what is considered legal as far as storage/access/transport
    is notification required (if pulled over, etc)
    off limits locations (some states have weird things like the bar area of a restaurant being off limits, or rest stops)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Yeah, good luck with that tactic in Broward, Palm Beach, Orange or Miami-Dade counties! :panic:

7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I stand corrected. Deeper thinking recalls they did get that "inadvertent exposure" statute passed a year or 2 back.

Even so, be careful of the MWAG calls if you go to the movies.

Nemo

8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Definitely don't buy any popcorn. :popcorn:

9. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I believe SC still requires you to be a resident of the state the license is issued in. That means if you're trying to carry on a FL license in SC as a non-resident of FL then that's a no go.

SC does recognize GA's license now though, so if you have a GWCL and are a GA resident you are good to go.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This is my understanding.