South Caralina Reciprocity

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Sig Sauer, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Sig Sauer

Sig Sauer New Member

Hello everyone.Since and even before September 11 happened and since HB 218 passed and was singed into law I have wanted a simirlar law passed for US Civie's.But no such luck and I sure don't think congress will do so any time soon.So I am trying to do the next best thing.That is getting out of state CCW permit's.As it stands now with GA and FL, VA, UT and TN permits gives one 32 state's.Now SC is the big holdout as far as having the hole Southeast.I have been checking PACKING.ORG and on SC web page and on SLED's web page it says they do not recognize out of state permit's that they have reciprocity with.RESIDENTS ONLY.So today I called them (them being SLED) and after being bounced around three times I got my answer.She told me that they do Honor out of state permits with states that they have reciprocity with.I then asked her two more times and she gave me the same answer.Do any of you now this to be true?Next question doe's anyone know what is going on with SC H-3110 bill?Last update was on 02/25/05.This bill would probaly give us reciprocity with SC.

8) THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. 8)

One more thing.How hard do you think it would be to get into GA law a training course in order to get your CCW and to have the the FBI to do background checks.If this could be done I think we would pick up alot more states for reciprocity reason.I know alot of people would not like it at first but once they learn the benefit of it I think one would not mind.

2. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

I think Georgia is doing fine without requiring training. It would be all too easy to get them to go for added restrictions. The only problem with doing so is they would take it 10 steps more than anyone would actually want. It has been proposed several times but the bills are so loaded up with requirements and restrictions you would be better off moving to New York and trying to obtain your permit there. Most people with GFL's have been raised around firearms. Those who haven't been almost always get the training on their own because there is enough sense in the heads of those who get the GFL to know if they can actually handle a firearm or not. Plus the whole idea of haveing an activist group is to reduce the restrictions. Not to add to them.

Yes SC does honor out of state permits with those states they have reciprocity with. They do not honor the non-resident permits of those same states.

3. Sig Sauer

Sig Sauer New Member

IMHO I would agree that 97% of the peaple that get a CCW already know how to use a firearm and probaly dont need training.But if we could pick up four to seven more states.Then what is the problem.If the LIB'S try to add more than that to it.Then the bill could be killed on the floor.I cant see any thing wrong with an FBI background check.It's almost the same as a GBI check.I dont think we really lose anything by doing this.The cost of the permits for the states that I have listed is around 657.$$.A training class and permit her would run around 125.$$.

4. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

We already have the FBI background check. Most people don't need the states you are talking about either. Right now you can get training for around $100. If you make it a requirement it will increase to $150. This will bring the cost of getting a permit for everyone (even those who don't need SC) to about $200. Why would you want to cost 97%+ 4 times as much as they now pay for a permit? It doesn't seam fair to punish 97%+ for the sake of a few who want to travel to unfriendly states. There are states that require training for their permits who still accept the GFL. Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Louisiana and more. Also there is no way an anti will let this kind of a bill pass without adding on other stuff as well. One other thing is more states are starting to drop the training requirements. So why should we go the other way and start having training requirements? I understand where you are coming from. However what you will do in the long run is cause a lot of people to not be able to afford the permits, not bother getting a permit and make room for a more restrictive permit. Not to mention give a victory to the anti's and open the door for more gun control altogether.

5. Sig Sauer

Sig Sauer New Member

I see your point.From what I understand SC H-3110 drops the training requirement.I sure would like to see it pass.

6. gundawg

gundawg New Member

SC H-3110 passed the SC house

SC H-3110 passed the SC house last friday. The bill is now currently in the SC Senate's Judicary Committee. If this bill passes the Senate, it would require South Carolina to accept any CCW from a state that accepts SC's permit. It also requires SLED to negotiate these reciprocity agreements, without the old requirement of identical state standards that caused the holdup before. Thus, it would directly lead to South Carolina-Georgia reciprocity!

If any of you guys have contacts in South Carolina, tell them to call their state senators, and ask them to support H-3110.

Here's the bill: http://www.scstatehouse.net/sess116_2005-2006/bills/3110.htm

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Still residing in the Senate Judiciary comittee. It sure would be nice to fill in this hole in the south's reciprocity . . .

8. gundawg

gundawg New Member

Word is that the Judiciary commitee is meeting this Wednesday to discuss the bill.

9. Malum Prohibitum

According to the report over at packing.org, this bill passed the subcommittee yesterday and now goes to the Judiciary Committee (i.e., the whole committee) and may make it to the Senate floor for a votre in as little as three weeks.

It sounds like, as amended, it is similar to Georgia's law, i.e., we'll recognize yours if you recognize ours.

10. Malum Prohibitum

According to the NRA, a committee met in June to hammer out differences in the H and S versions of the bill (H-3110), but failed. They claim it is still a viable piece of legislation. This is more than the official SC web site, which has the last date as May.

Of course, on the federal level, there is HR 1243 - sort of a HB 218 for non-police officers.