South Africa: Law will need change to allow 18 yoa possess

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jul 9, 2007.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Why are our age laws so retarded in this country? When I was 18 I could vote, I couldn't drink, I couldn't buy a handgun either. But, I was allowed to join the military, be issued a select-fire weapon, have frequent access to fully automatic squad type weapons as well as grenades?

Insane. Glad to see South Africa is on the right track. You can have NFA long-guns in the USA if you're under 18. But, you can't buy alcohol. :?

2. tace

tace New Member

Don't they still have draft in South Africa? And what about the obsurd crime rate? I wouldn't wanna have anything like that here.

3. LJG

LJG Guest

They got rid of the draft in the 90's (94 I think).

SA takes crime rates to a whole new level. The rape & murder levels are staggering. I don't know how they're going to get it under control before the 2012 World Cup.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

5. MY GUN/MY RIGHT

MY GUN/MY RIGHT New Member

Kudos to them. And sadly, they REALLY need this new law.

6. Sailorman_glh

Sailorman_glh Active Member

They've actually taken some steps to quell the violence for the World Cup, and it's next year, 2010, not 2012 - that's the Olympics in London.

My wife and I, along with some friends are going to SA for the World Cup, and speaking with the consulate in NY, they have more police on the streets, they're trying to arm more people (the consulate secretary I spoke with mentioned this law), because they're going to be on the world stage, they want everything to go off without a hitch.

I'm not overly concerned...there's going to be so many people from other countries, and wars have been stopped so a football match could be played. It'll be fine there.

Good on SA for letting ALL adults carry and exercise a God-given right of self-defense.

7. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

It is really stupid that we have to sign up for selective service at 18, can vote at 18 can drive a car at 16, can sign a legeal contract to buy a house or car or whatever we want at 18. And for what ever reasoning we are not allowed to posses a handgun until we are 21. :screwy: