Soooo, a man walks into Michigan Stadium with 2 M-16s...

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Xiclotl, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/f ... ?eref=sihp

:cantsay:

:screwy:

Not to get off track, but first; did they really have to use the word assault? :screwy: Why not completely editorialize and call the Guardsman a "trained government killer". Or the footbal game a "crypto-facist violence ritual" (cribbed from "Back to School" with Rodney Dangerfield :lol: ).

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Probably one of the few times when using assault in connection with a weapon is accurate, since by definition the M16-series is an actual assault rifle.

3. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

I beg to differ (this is all based on assumption & good natured debating spirit), the National Guard is listed as using the M16A2 and
    &
    Thus, if the weapon is not capable of being used in the fully automatic mode (selective fire) it is not, technically, an assault rifle. QED :lol:

It's fun to nitpick. :D

4. rankhornjp

rankhornjp Active Member

the government defines "automatic" and firing more than ONE round with a single pull of the trigger.....

5. janedoedad

janedoedad Liver Abuser

I would like to know: How did (soon to be former, I would guess) Guardsman manage to obtain two M16s, much less think he was possibly going to get away with this? What was he going to do with the rifles, carry them all day?

This was not a well-thought out plan. :shock: Not mention numerous violations of the UCMJ.

6. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

The question begs, were they really M16s? I'll bet it was a Mini-14 and a Remington 870.

7. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

So who did the rifles assault? "Assault" rifle is such a BS misnomer. It's true the M16 is a machine gun, but there is no such thing as an assault rifle.

8. Flatbad-hd

Flatbad-hd New Member

Hhhmmm...could this result in no more Color Guard at events? I can see some :3hat: saying that the Color Guard can no longer bring weapons which means no support as the colors have to be flanked by (wait for it) weapons!!! Also as likely, security :dtmb: SGT Smiley for bringing the Color Guard weapons in. Just sayin' is all. Hopefully common sense will prevail and this DB will get handed his butt under the UCMJ and by the civilian criminal justice system as appropriate.

PVT Schmuckovich, "Golly sarge, I just wanted to see the game."
    SGT Hardasse, "Good initiative...very poor execution. Let's go see the 1SG and CDR."

9. 175FO

175FO Member

You would probably be surprised at just how easy this is. In my six years in the active army and one in the reserves, I could at any given point go to the arms room, say "hey I need to sign out some guns" and I could get whatever I wanted M4, MK46, MK48, M-2, Carl Gustav, etc... So this guy probably did something like that, if he was on duty that weekend nobody would probably even miss the guns, he could just turn them back in the next day, no one would have any idea. It would be even easier for him if he worked in the arms room as a clerk, he could remove the guns with no paper work. I personally don't think this is a bad thing, I mean the guy didn't even have any ammo with him, he just wanted to see the game.

10. mpc

mpc New Member

Yea, he didn't have any ammo, but used his status in the military to get into the game for free. That makes him a thief, a liar and a calculated opportunist.

How is that not a bad thing?

11. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Which government?

The state of Georgia defines automatic as firing 6 or more rounds per pull of trigger. :wink: (unless the law changed and I didn't hear about it.)

12. jlcnuke

jlcnuke New Member

Federal regulation 27 CFR part 479 defines a "machine gun" (the term they use in place of automatic weapon) as :

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Assault weapon: A firearm of an intermedate rifle caliber, capable of selective-fire.

14. hma153

hma153 Uninvited Guest

"Assault" is a verb, not an adjective.

15. 175FO

175FO Member

Sorry, I think I kind of stated that a little differently then I wanted to. It is not a bad thing that servicemembers have easy access to weapons. Yes it was bad for him to use that as an excuse to get into a football game.