Son applied for his carry.

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by 2Abeliever, Nov 29, 2006.

1. 2Abeliever

2Abeliever Member

My son just turned 21 and went the end of Sept and applied for his carry here in Forsyth county. We will see how long it takes and if the Judge wants Him to come in for an interview. He has a spotless record by the way. :woohoo: Will let you folks know when it comes in.

2. kkennett

kkennett New Member

We've been working on Forsyth. They claim with the electronic prints that things are significantly faster. I'm definitely curious in your son's results.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2Abeliever, I apologize for pulling your post off topic, but I wanted to make sure you and your son are aware of goings on in Forsyth, via this GCO Update.

:wink:

Forsyth is one of only 8 counties in the entire State of Georgia that attempts to ban carry of firearms in county parks in violation of the state pre-emption law forbidding counties from passing such ordinances. See O.C.G.A. 16-11-173.

4. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Did they require his social security number and employment info?

5. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Interview??

6. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

You know, the interview that the judge gets to call which is described in OCGA 16-11-1...2...um...wait...I know I can find it somewhere...

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The process for issueing a GFL is found in OCGA 16-11-129. As far as I am aware the judges that require/request interviews are either to clarify details found during the background check (the last sentence in subsection b4 of 129) or it is to determine if the applicant is of good moral character (I am not sure how a 15-30min interview can determine that)

8. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

So, if your called in for an "interview" and they ask something like how many weapons you own (as I've read has happend) my response should be "that's irrelavent and not a requirement for this process" or some such? Where do you draw the line between appropriate and inappropriate questioning?

9. tony218

tony218 New Member

then you are being a smart**s and not a good moral subject!!!!!

"that's irrelavent and not a requirement for this process"
    :banghead:

10. Malum Prohibitum

Not exactly eligibility or good moral character, is it?

Me, personally? [WARNING: Following MP's suggestions may cause denial of license] Well, I would bring along a copy of 16-11-129, with the eligibility requirements (all in subsection (b) of the statute - all six or seven of them) highlighted in super-bright yellow, and introduce myself to the judge with a big smile and describe how happy I am to get a chance to meet an elected official and what a good public service I think the meeting is and thank the judge for taking the time . . . and then question why the judge did not issue the license back on November . . . whatever the sixtieth day was.

Then I would not answer any questions that do not relate to something in subsection (b) of 129, and, if the judge pushed the issue, would inquire into whether he (or, more likely, she) seems to think this is a discretionary process. I would probably get jailed for contempt right around the time that I asked what part of "shall" did the judge not understand?

:jail:

By the next day, when the Sheriff's Deputy hauls me back into the courtroom unshowered and unshaved, I would have thought up a whole bunch of smart aleck things to say. Then I would probably campaign against the judge in the next election.

After I got out of jail again . . . :cry:

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

If I were following MP's advice, I would also bring along a copy of u89-21and use the highlighter on part 2 just incase after I "inquire into whether he (or, more likely, she) seems to think this is a discretionary process" to which the judge says that is just my unqualified opinion I could say, it is also the opinion of the Attorney General as well.

(emphasis added)

12. 2Abeliever

2Abeliever Member

They did require the SSN#. I wasn't pleased about it but he had taken on this task all on his own and I know he wasn't aware of what has been discussed on this site.

13. 2Abeliever

2Abeliever Member

I was aware of it and had been following it. They have seem to come to there senses and trying to resolve it through the county board. Haven't had a chance lately to check to see where thery are but will and I will update the group. Thanks. :D

14. kkennett

kkennett New Member

2Abeliever,

I am the one who has been pushing much of this along in Forsyth. For the SSN, the ladies at the office acknowledge that they cannot require the SSN, but I do not believe they have altered the forms. I suspect if one went in and refused to give it and was knowledgeable regarding your rights, they would see it your way. On the ordinance, we are waiting on the second and final reading and public hearing at Commission meeting. Some additional work needs to be done to shepherd them along in the process to get the wording done well, but I think it will come to fruition in the next meeting or so.

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Good job.

I've told my parents that if they get a GFL I will buy them any Glock of their choice.

They are choosing to not take me up on the offer.

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

They should be using the forms provided by DPS like the law says. DPS has updated the forms (though the issue is not yet settled). Forsyth is at the least breaking Federal law and at most breaking Federal AND State laws.

17. Janus

Janus Member

SSN

The ladies at the counter know that it's voluntary. The application paperwork states that it is voluntary.

The Sheriff's office imply that without the SSN the background check may take longer.

I applied on 3rd of November. My license was put in the mail on the 15th of November.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Re: SSN

:D

12 days!

:woohoo:

Why did the Coweta court take 125 days (when the lawsuit was finally filed)?

19. 2Abeliever

2Abeliever Member

I wanted to let you good folks know that my son finally received his permit yesteday. That makes it right at 4 months from the day he applied. Way too long in my book. :evil: