Sometimes a Jury Goes a Bit Too Far

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Nemo, May 23, 2018.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

And I suspect a motion to reduce the damages, new trial or whatever is appropriate in Ga will be granted.

Nemo

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...ar1-billion-after-guard-rapes-teen/ar-AAxI4l2

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me are the charges he was convicted of. If a armed guard raped a woman I would expect them to be convicted of more than statutory rape and child molestation.

3. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

I don't know how much they knock down sentences, but if it's like haggling over a new heat pump, they are probably only looking at about 950,000,000 with a cash discount.

4. Nemo

Defendant is serving a 20 year prison sentence.

The billion dollar civil judgement was against the company that employed the defendant who did not meet state requirements for licensing and carrying a weapon.

Nemo

Adam5 likes this.
  5. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

I got that part. The story reads like the guard forced her boy friend to watch while he raped her. The statutory rape conviction makes it look like he may have had consensual sex with a underage girl. I just wonder what really happened.

6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Where the hell was everybody else at this "party?"

7. Nemo

But assuming it was a rape, what is proper compensation?

Nemo

8. moe mensale

The lawsuit was filed in 2015. The guard company was dissolved in 2016. Who is the judgement going to apply against? I don't think the former owner is liable unless it can be shown he shut the company down in anticipation of avoiding a judgement. He could appeal the judgement but I don't see how a dissolved entity could legally do that.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  9. moe mensale

Maybe a billion dollars was to make a point by the jury for what they saw as a grievous crime. Or maybe the jury was just a bunch of morons.

10. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Court money judgements, feel good stuff when there's no assets to go after.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Actually, you can shut a company down just because of an impending judgment. There is nothing at all wrong with that. You just cannot transfer assets to avoid a judgment. So if a company does not have much in the way of assets, you can shut it down and let the judgment creditor (and all other company creditors) collect whatever assets are available. There is no obligation to keep the company operating.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You can even start a new company - even a new guard company, so long as you do not use assets from the former company.

Most persons cannot do this, however, as the temptation to use the former's company's assets to start the new company proves too strong.

13. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Then he may have had to shut down because of armed guards without the proper license. Abut the only assets he would have had were uniforms (mostly leased from a supply co.?) the employees may have been required to furnish their own equipment (firearms, duty gear or whatever). Maybe a leased office building and office equipment. In the end there may not be much to go after anyway. So they are automatically instant billion airs on paper. I wish them all the luck they deserve attempting to collect attorney fees, court cost and other expenses in order to file such a uncollectable legal action.

I always thought statutory rape was consent with a minor. Which is almost as bad as a forcible rape but deserves just as harsh a punishment.

14. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

It's the American way. Shutdown usually comes on payday if there's lots of employees, and accounts payable to contract folks.

A few days before shutdown, the company makes heavy payouts to its executive/owners.

Legal ! That's why accountants and lawyers earn their fee.

It is also why business credit information and bank letters of credit are essential for businesses to interact. Trust (but verify/insure)

15. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

A lot of companies are "cash flow companies" with little or no assets. Contracts, goodwill, and talented employees are all assets to a company, except in the legal sense. I used to work for a company that stated: "85% of our assets walk out the door at the end of the workday.". Heck, even a lot of large companies have no real asset value after factoring in debt.

You can't wring blood from a turnip.

16. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Did this company maybe have an insurance policy?

17. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Insurance against what ?
    And it they did, it is the first thing the judge in the court case will flush out.

Lawyers don't work for free, and the judge is part of their labor union.