Someone went to 'bama and got a Garand

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by M249, Sep 15, 2007.

1. M249

M249 New Member

Meet Belle (I name all mil rifles, a habit I picked up in Da Army).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jmark was right on the money. Last week, for some strange reason, I decided that I had to have a Garand, so I got up at 0600HRS and drove to Anniston, AL to visit the CMP Store South. Walked in with my birth cert, GA DL, GFL, VFW, and AL cards and walked out with a Garand.

I wanted a shooter, not a collector piece, so I borrowed gauges and got an M1 with a 1960 production Danish barrel. The receiver was made in Oct. 1942, and I would wager saw some action in the European theatre. Some time after the war, this rifle was loaned to the Danes. The Danes used Garands up through the '90s. Since they were loaners, the Danish government returned them to the US Government and they're being sold through the CMP.

The wood around the barrel looks to be original walnut, but I think the stock is a birch replacement stock.

Either way, I can't wait to shoot 'er. I just hope the CMP qets my ammo situation squared away. I paid for 960 rds, and got 480. I didn't realize this until I got back home and opened the cardboard boxes.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

At least give us a clue or something to guess at.

4. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I ought to just lock the thread. That will show him. :twisted:

6. phaed

phaed Active Member

the suspense...

7. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

8. M249

M249 New Member

It's not that exciting, really. I don't know why I felt the need to own a Garand, but I did.

9. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

Civilian Marksmanship Program...

Gov't selling guns...

Through the CMP you can buy M-1's for approx $400-$500 dollars.

10. M249

M249 New Member

I think he was asking if I was going to the CMP Store in AL. He posted that before I mentioned the CMP.

11. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

That is a significant piece of history as well as an excellent shooting and collection piece. Nicely done!

12. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

That was it. Nice looking gun you have there!

Did they have any carbines on the racks?

13. M249

M249 New Member

They sold out of carbines in two days. Next batch ETA Jan '08. If you want a carbine, be there Thursday mornings when they open.

More info as I detail strip it. The hand guards are a beautiful dark walnut, while the stock is birch. I'm going to keep the originals, but I'm probably going to replace them with a new walnut set. It depends on if the spirit of some past marksman flows through me or not :p

14. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

Yeah, I got another CMP garand here a couple weeks ago. They had tons of carbines on the racks then too, I thought they were out of Inlands also. I might want to pick up another Inland for my inlaws.

Both garands I have got the Danish VAR barrel... they make great barrels and both gauged very well.

Garands rule... carbines rule.... CMP rules !!! :twisted: :twisted:

15. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

16. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

*ding/clang/whateverimitationsoundofabandolierbeingkickedoutyoucanthinkof*

17. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

To clarify, you're not a member of CMP, you just brought the membership cards, GFL, etc with you and they sold you the garand?

18. M249

M249 New Member

Correct. You don't have to be a "member" per se, you just have to meet the eligibility requirements.

GFL or DD214 will satisfy training requirements (as will many other things).

American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, or .mil ID satisfies the group membership requirements (there are other qroups, too).

Birth Cert, .mil ID, or Passport satisfies citizenship requirements.

Driver's license is good for a photo ID if you don't have your passport... I couldn't find mine ;)

Edited for stupid spelling errors