Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
and until you realize it, you cannot realize how much weight they can carry.

Voting locations are open 7am to 7pm. You can do some early and mail in stuff too. I am in a bit of a rural area but when I was in at about 1445 I was #41 to cast a ballot in my area.

Pay attention to primaries.

Nemo

·
Professional Troll
2,148 Posts
Primaries ought to be done away with. I'm tired of money being stolen from me for political parties to conduct their party business at taxpayer expense. 3rd parties in Georgia are REQUIRED by law to conduct their primaries during their annual conventions each year, which is why you don't see Libertarian, Constitution, or Green party primaries on the ballot. What's good for them should be good for the R's and D's as well.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum

·
68,905 Posts
Primaries ought to be done away with. I'm tired of money being stolen from me for political parties to conduct their party business at taxpayer expense. 3rd parties in Georgia are REQUIRED by law to conduct their primaries during their annual conventions each year, which is why you don't see Libertarian, Constitution, or Green party primaries on the ballot. What's good for them should be good for the R's and D's as well.
"The original motivation for this 5% statue which was adopted in 1943 was to keep communists and republicans off the ballot,” Esco said.

·
68,905 Posts

No third-party candidate for the U.S. House has ever satisfied the 5% requirement since it was adopted in Georgia in 1943.

·
Professional Troll
2,148 Posts
"The original motivation for this 5% statue which was adopted in 1943 was to keep communists and republicans off the ballot,” Esco said.
You are correct sir. Republicans didn't get ballot access in Georgia until the 1968 election. Bo Callaway had to get over 150,000 signatures to get on the ballot in 1966 for Governor and got 47% of the vote which exceeded the threshold required by Georgia law (which is 20% of the vote) in order for the Republican Party to get full ballot access and conduct primary elections in the next election cycle.

·
Professional Troll
2,148 Posts

No third-party candidate for the U.S. House has ever satisfied the 5% requirement since it was adopted in Georgia in 1943.
And the 5% requirement is more like 7% because the SOS will toss signatures from your nominating petition. And there is no do over with the nominating petitions. Once you've submitted your signatures at the end of the 6 month window, that's it. If you failed to get the appropriate number because signatures were tossed or parts of your nominating petition was disqualified for clerical errors, you're done for that election cycle. All the time and money you spent getting signatures gone down the tubes.

Whereas the D and R candidates only need to pay the qualifying fee and sign the intent to run papers with the party.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts