Social Shotgun class 2/18/17

Discussion in 'Training' started by DonT, Feb 2, 2017.

1. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. Siege

Siege New Member

Would love to sign the wife and I up for it, but not only would that require us to be able to find someone to watch our kid for the day, but then to try and get from Hall Co. to there by 9am, AND the cost, which, for the both of us & ammo expenditures is just not within my means right now :(

3. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I'm told there are still slots to this course, scheduled for next Saturday.

4. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The class is this coming Saturday, and there is still room in the class.

5. Coffee Kid

Coffee Kid Active Member

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

So how'd the social shogun class go?

What are some things that you learn in such a class?

Suppose a person is already very good (smooth and fast) and loading, unloading (removing live shells safely), manipulating the safety (if you choose to use it at all; I don't), and shooting. And when I say "shooting" I mean three kinds of shooting:
    Aimed shots, snap-shots with an imperfect or flash sight picture, and "pointing." All done fast, rapid-fire, at targets from 3 yards to 30 yards.

What other skills, tips, or techniques can a person learn from a defensive shotgun class?

7. gunsmoker

This isn't me, but I'm about as fast as this guy. I'm probably more accurate. He missed a few of those six-inch plates.
    He did several runs before getting a score he liked-- 2.24 seconds for 5 shots, with all hits. Pump shotgun firing birdshot.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYzMnorSCok[/ame]

8. gunsmoker

I'm NOT as good as this guy with a Mossberg 500 pump (7 shots in 3 seconds, all hits, even with one malfunction in the middle that he dealt with!)

https://youtu.be/TrkX2MuVQgo

9. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Well, here I am shooting steel targets at 15 yards with an emergency load in 3:89 with my mentor running the timer and a class full of instructor candidates watching:

https://www.facebook.com/FirstPersonSafety/videos/627178927485498/

Per the course description, I think you would learn how to ammo exchanges, transition to handgun, etc. We also shot the new POST shotgun course, and those who passed received a letter stating that they shot a passing score on the same course that GA peace officers shoot administered by a POST certified firearms instructor.

Several students found that their choices in buckshot couldn't shoot tightly enough to pass the course.

10. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

I used to teach combat shotgun if y'all get together again I'd love to come assist.

11. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

For 00 Buck I've found the best groups with Federal LE 00Buck. Spread out of my 14" Rem 870 Police Magnum was about 6-8" at 25 yards. Rifles slugs I could hit the same hole over and over with the Federal LE slugs.

12. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

13. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

14. Coffee Kid

Coffee Kid Active Member

For me, it was more about learning different technique and style. More than learning something new, I learned a better way and I have to admit, the choice of buckshot made a big difference.