So, what would it take?

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by tace, Sep 6, 2007.

1. tace

tace New Member

I am not asking this to get everyone riled up but I am concerned at how easy it is for criminals (or 16 year olds) to get their hands on guns that were legally purchased.

Straw purchases are illegal but there is nothing stopping a person from selling a gun to a criminal as long as the seller is not aware that the buyer has a criminal history. Even if there may be a chance the seller is aware he/she is not required to keep documentation.

I know it would make it more difficult for us to sell guns, but shouldn't there be a better process that takes the BGs out of the loop?

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That's the responsibility of the seller. If there is enough doubt on the seller's part, there obviously shouldn't be a transaction. That's probably why most on here require a GFL. That makes sense. There still shouldn't be a rule requiring a GFL or whatever for private party sales, though. And, for 16 year olds, if they look that young, it wouldn't hurt to get proof of age before selling to them. Again, all the responsibility should fall on the parties involved in the transaction.

3. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

IMO - This question touches on the same issues as guns in parks, you can outlaw them but the BGs will still have them there.

More regulations will not keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Those who would rather profit from criminally selling/providing guns to those otherwise prohibited from owning them will continue to do so. It's all about $$$.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Burglary requires no background check.

5. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

If there was a requirement for secure storage, I'm sure many guns would be off the streets and still in their lawful owners homes. But I doubt theft accounts for more than a small percentage of criminal firearms. I'm guessing that most get them via straw purchases, which can be very hard to stop, assuming the purchaser is the least bit smart.

6. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

:lol:

One look at Maryland and you'll know this isn't true.

7. M249

M249 New Member

Criminals will obtain weapons by whatever means they wish. Just check out the gun crime the UK if you doubt that :)

Law have not, and never will, prevent criminals from doing what they do... that's why they are criminals.

8. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I have my own standards on resell that require the purchaser to have either a GFL or FFL, but I would never advocate that as a law. If you tried to force a system on the secondary market it would simply be a method of backdoor gun registration and I think history proves that gun registration is a precursor to gun confiscation.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Freedom always has problems that make people squirm.

10. budder

I get the feeling that my idea of secure storage (fallout bunker) and MD idea of secure storage (bull :censored: ) are different.

11. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

Fairly easy if you know where to look. Just like drugs, kids/criminals can easily get them. All it takes is money.

I did some engineering work at a site on Ashby St. in the West End of Atlanta. I found out that leaning against a pole was a signal that you want drugs. If you say no, then they figure you want a whore. Then its a discussion of male or female. :shock: My contractors laughed their buts off watching me get all freaked out trying to shake the 'entrepreneurs".

I wouldn't be surprised if you could also buy a gun there as well ... for the proper layout of money of course.

12. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Obviously they're different budder - you have common sense and the ability to reason logically. There are very few people in the PR of MD that have those 2 things. That number shrinks when you look at the elected officials of the state.

13. budder

Common sense? I want to build a bunker! Where's the common sense in that?

14. tace

tace New Member

Yeah, but is your mom going to let you dig up her backyard?

:lol:

15. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

No one worthwhile ever said that protecting you and yours was stupid.

16. budder

Protecting myself? I just want a bunker! Bunkers are awesome.

17. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Similar to when I used to build forts by draping sheets and blankets over some chairs in the kitchen.

18. budder

Lame. You don't get a tenth the defensive capability of sofa cushions.

19. fallison

fallison Guest

Lame. You don't get a tenth the defensive capability of sofa cushions.[/quote:1vyk4oh9]

Sofa cushions were always offensive weapons.

20. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Lame. You don't get a tenth the defensive capability of sofa cushions.[/quote:34douobl]

Sofa cushions were always offensive weapons.[/quote:34douobl]

Not if you were the younger brother. :lol: