Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....carrying a firearm at government supported event, such as a Farm Exposition, located on government property, by a security guard, LEO etc?

Do you;
1. Leave and file a law suit
2. Ignore and Walk Away (which may wind up going to jail)
3. Bear Hug the guy
4. Spit in his face
5. Ask him for his daughter's phone number

Ayh?

What about a private party event like a car show located on public property?

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
As long as it is 100% not a government building? AIFTG

I figure there is some theoretical point at which one could technically be trespassing at a private event if they wanted you to leave, but I'm not sure how you would know until you hit that point...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Leave and avoid problems ..... some times
be smart is a best desition !!!!

And you can be smart all rest of your life
only you have a choice !!

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Unless you are willing to risk jail and then fund a lawsuit, its best to leave if asked.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Unless you are willing to risk jail and then fund a lawsuit, its best to leave if asked.
Yuppers. :righton:

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
If asked to leave a gov event on gov property I would ask for the LEO to call their supervisor to meet us at the nearest entrance/exit to the event and I would start heading immediatly for that entrance/exit.

If asked to leave a private event on Gov property, I would leave immediatly and voice my displeasure later.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
If a private business or individual rent or lease some government-owned property to hold their private (or public-access) event, they temporarily control that land like an owner would.

Now technically, the "criminal trespass" law says you have to leave when asked by the OWNER, not a mere tenant renting the owner's property, but I'm confident that the Courts will not and have not interpreted the law so narrowly in real-life applications. I'd say that when the person in charge of the RENTED property says "get out now", you have to go, or face criminal trespass charges.

By the way, there is caselaw that says even government workers on government property that is normally open for public use STILL have the power to ban specific individuals, such as those who break the rules. And they can still choose to close the entire park or grounds or facility, and if you are found on the property after it has been closed, they can kick you out. You can't stand there and argue that it's owned by all the taxpayers and you're a taxpayer so you can use it when you want to. No, you have to use it when the government agents in charge of managing that property tell you you may use it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
gunsmoker said:
Now technically, the "criminal trespass" law says you have to leave when asked by the OWNER, not a mere tenant renting the owner's property, but I'm confident that the Courts will not and have not interpreted the law so narrowly in real-life applications. I'd say that when the person in charge of the RENTED property says "get out now", you have to go, or face criminal trespass charges.
The code used to read "after receiving notice from the owner, rightful occupant, or, upon proper identification, an authorized representative of the owner or rightful occupant to depart." I'm assuming that it still does, but I haven't checked.

Otherwise I couldn't ask anyone to leave an apartment I was renting and that's not right.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gunsmoker said:
If a private business or individual rent or lease some government-owned property to hold their private (or public-access) event, they temporarily control that land like an owner would.
I just learned that this event, although on public property, is controlled/organized and maintained by Georgia State University!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I have yet to confirm but no reason to doubt!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts