So what 9mm pistol has a 1911-type reputaion?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by guitarded_1, Nov 20, 2010.

1. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 New Member

I want to stick with the 9mm platform, but I want an amazing shooter for the range and nightstand. There is no question that in the .45 world, the 1911 is one of the finest shooting and most accurate guns out there. I know that much of it depends on the shooter, but what qualifies as the "Cadillac" of the 9mm world?

I know that Sig will be suggested for sure. I keep considering one of the CZ guns as well - they really have an amazing reputation.

Anything else that really merits consideration?

And I know that there is no "right" answer, just trying to have some fun with my future gun selection.

2. suttree

suttree New Member

IMO THE 9 mm is the Glock 17.

3. Priest

Priest New Member

look at a Springfield EMP... it is a scaled down 1911... not just a rechambered 1911

4. EmergencyNrse

EmergencyNrse Member

There are the 9mm favorites out there but I think you're looking for:

Browning Hi-Power Standard, the Practical or Mark-III

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

agree on the Browning
    it's near perfect

6. dunkel

dunkel New Member

I think EmergcyNrse pretty much nailed that one.

Hm...isn't that also a JMB design? I think it is...

7. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I always imagined THE 9mm was either a CZ or a Browning Hi-Power. I'd like to get a CZ myself someday.

8. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

I'll vote Glock 17 or Glock 19

Hopefully I can add a Beretta PX4 to that list.

9. Paladin

Paladin Fattus Patrickus

Agree on the Hi-power.

10. warnockdavid

warnockdavid New Member

Springfield EMP. It's official name is "Enhanced Mico Pistol 9mm 1911A1"

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I suggest a Browning Hi-Power or CZ 75.

I'm not sure where you live, but if you are anywhere near cumming and want to try out my CZ SP01 Phantom you are welcome to.

The Phantom is the railed, polymer version of the full sized CZ75

12. mpc

mpc New Member

13. Hunley

Hunley Active Member

I'll be honest with you. From personal experience, the best, and softest shooting 9mm I have ever shot was an IWI Jericho 941 that I used to own. It was all steel, and had the slide fit into the frame. It was modeled on the CZ, had polygonal rifling, and shot like a dream to me. Slide to frame fit was tight. Due to the all-steel construction, +P and +P+ loads seemed like shooting standard ball in a Glock. The gun just "felt right".

I've never shot a CZ. But, if they are anything like that Jericho of mine was, they would be the best bang for the buck. Due to financial situations, I had to sell it. I regret it. Was a great gun.

14. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

If you are looking for JMB all steel 9mm "Cadillac" I agree 100% on the Browning Hi-Power.

Second choice would be the CZ-75.

15. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Is the CZ75 in any way similar to the Hi-Power?

16. ForsythGlock

ForsythGlock Member

17. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Virtually the same grip angle, HP is single action, CZ is double/single action. same Browning tilting barrel action.

Both are great guns.

18. ChCx91

ChCx91 New Member

A majority of the answers to your question are going to be opinions and I'll offer that: My own, well-researched opinion.

I personally believe that the best 9mm pistols are the Glock 19, CZ 75 models and Beretta 92 models. I've handled and shot many different 9mm pistols and of them all, these 3 are the only ones that have never failed to feed/extract, hit the target where I'm aiming with consistency and are rugged and reliable all the same. You cannot go wrong with any of the 3 I mentioned, ask anyone. :righton:

19. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

Gotta agree with the others who've suggested either the Hi-Power and SA EMP.

I haven't yet had the pleasure of firing a Hi-Power chambered for 9mm, however I've owned the Tactical model in .40 for a good number of years now and must say that it's one heck of a damn good shooter :love: ( at least until my Dad fired it and 'adopted' it for himself :eek: :lol: )

My wife has the SA EMP in 9mm and it's also one very fine shootin' pistol. We had to get a bit of feed ramp polishing done to it before it reliably feed HPs, but now it's a flawless shooter and easily concealable. 8)

Now, if you're looking to venture out away from the clutches of the 1911 mafia :neener: :shattered: , then for a polymer framed pistol, either something from Glock or SA XD/XDm will mostly likely fill the bill quite well.

For an all-metal recommendation, it's hard to beat a SIG 228, 229 or 226. :righton:

20. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

The true Cadillac of the 9mm world? The H&K P7, hands down.

That is all.