So very disappointed in these Republicans

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Bkite, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

He's a RINO. That term may go away soon, since that seems to be the norm now, rather than the exception. Maybe they should be called, R-Democrats?

Bkite likes this.

3. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

or may repugnocraps

Phil1979 likes this.
  4. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

This is the same guy (DesJarlais) who would probably be red flagged if this happened today:

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news...le/13048120/scott-desjarlais-put-the-gun-away

5. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

Most politically-successful Republicans (and Democrats) receive their politics; they don't set them.

That is, they decide to run for an office. They look around to see what kinds of political realities define their political landscape, and then they position themselves accordingly. Once they have the job, *now* they can relax a bit and spread their political wings. Ran on a pro-gun platform but act the opposite once in office? Oops!

I remember back in 2000, a friend of mine was running for Governor of Georgia. I popped by his campaign HQ to say "hi", and chatted about strategy a bit with him and his folks. One of them mentioned a "faith based" consultant they had a meeting with, and I remarked "faith based? since when are you religious?" He explained that as a Republican, it was expected, part of the game. Not that I was a political innocent by any means (I grew up around politicians), but it stuck with me.

The only - ONLY - thing that matters in a representative democracy is winning. Nothing else happens without the office. So you do and say what it takes; that's the practicum which separates successful from unsuccessful candidates.

So I never think in terms of "Republican" or "Democrat": I look at the individual's history (if I can). My Dad - an old and cantankerous Fox-glued conservative who would make even this forum look leftist - votes *straight* Republican. I tell him not to, but he's a simple man! He'd probably be surprised at some of the folks he's voting for.

DH

6. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

Most politically-successful Republicans (and Democrats) receive their politics; they don't set them.

That is, they decide to run for an office. They look around to see what kinds of political realities define their political landscape, and then they position themselves accordingly. Once they have the job, *now* they can relax a bit and spread their political wings. Ran on a pro-gun platform but act the opposite once in office? Oops!

I remember back in 2000, a friend of mine was running for Governor of Georgia. I popped by his campaign HQ to say "hi", and chatted about strategy a bit with him and his folks. One of them mentioned a "faith based" consultant they had a meeting with, and I remarked "faith based? since when are you religious?" He explained that as a Republican, it was expected, part of the game. Not that I was a political innocent by any means (I grew up around politicians), but it stuck with me.

The only - ONLY - thing that matters in a representative democracy is winning. Nothing else happens without the office. So you do and say what it takes; that's the practicum which separates successful from unsuccessful candidates.

So I never think in terms of "Republican" or "Democrat": I look at the individual's history (if I can). My Dad - an old and cantankerous Fox-glued conservative who would make even this forum look leftist - votes *straight* Republican. I tell him not to, but he's a simple man! He'd probably be

7. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Sonny or Bill? Poor Linda ended up in federal prison. Garrett was well just there for the ride. Sounds like it could have been Sonny as he is the definition of a politician.

8. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

Bill Byrne. I knew his daughter growing up (we went to Catholic school together). I've seldom met a more energetic or dapper man; we kind of (re)-connected when he was Cobb Commission Chairman (Cobb County was an occasional client of mine.)

DH