So, nobody is going to post about the

Discussion in 'In the News' started by tace, Jul 26, 2007.

1. tace

tace New Member

Sheriff deputy in TX who "accidentally" dropped his gun putting in a drawer and shot himself in the guts.

Or so they would like you to believe. Considering everyone here knows that unless they were using a C&R gun from turn of the century, it wouldn't go bang just hitting the floor.

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I did not see this one tace, missed it. Anything reported by the media is usually 1% truth. Just like we all carry automatic weapons.

3. tace

tace New Member

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/gen/ap/TX_Investigator_Wounded.html

Grayson County investigator wounds self
    SHERMAN, Texas — A Grayson County sheriff's investigator accidentally shot himself Wednesday as he was putting his pistol in a desk drawer, authorities said.

Investigator Chad Butler was struck in the lower abdomen when the pistol slipped from his hands, hit the floor and discharged.

"We feel very fortunate. While we regret that there was a wound, we feel fortunate that it wasn't more serious than it was," Sheriff Keith Gary said in a news conference. "When you drop a pistol you really don't know where the round is going to go."

Butler was taken to a Sherman hospital where doctors said he was expected to make a full recovery.

Butler has been with the sheriff's office for a year and a half.

___

Information from KTEN-TV: http://www.kten.com

4. ber950

ber950 Active Member

While there are still a lot of weapons out there that are not "drop safe" including most 1911's I suspect his dept issues Glocks.

While Glocks are "drop safe" never try to grab one on the way down because bad things happen if your finger winds up inside the trigger guard. Let it hit and then pick it up.

5. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Could you explain this to me please? I own a 1911 model .45 and have never heard anything about it not being drop safe.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Me, either. Is this so?

7. fallison

fallison New Member

From what I have read, the original design could theoretically fire if dropped. That was one of the design changes in the 1911A1.

8. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Well the 1911A1 started being built in 1924. I can't think of any modern firearm (by modern I am saying last 50 years) that has safety issues regarding accidental discharges when dropped.

I could be wrong but I just don't know of any.

9. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Must be talking about most 1911 built before 1924. I don't think there are many police departments arming thier folks with original 1911's... :lol:

10. Malum Prohibitum

Freedom Arms.

There is a link to a news article somewhere on this site. But it is plastered all over with warnings, and I think even they may have changed the design after the incident in the lawsuit.

11. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Thanks Malum. Learn something new every day.

12. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

They are all mechanical and thus subject to fail.

1911s are actually fairly common in TX according to the cop forums that I frequent as most wanted to emulate the Rangers and have become a tradition unto themselves there.

I'm no 1911 expert, but IIRC, the series 70 guns don't have firing pin blocks, but they would still have the thumb safety and grip safety.

Another thing is that we are all presuming he was toting a bottom feeder. The article says as much, but I often see references to an officer's "service revolver" when I know dang well the guy was packing an auto. It is possible he was carrying an old revolver without a firing pin block.

13. Malum Prohibitum

When I was a cop, I dropped a Charter Arms .38 snubbie on its hammer with the barrel pointing at the center of my chest as I bent over to try and catch it.

It dented the metal on the back of the hammer and took the blueing off.

I thought I saw my life flash before my eyes, but it did not shoot.

14. merlock

merlock New Member

:bigshock:

15. Malum Prohibitum

That is what my face must have looked like.

16. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I think I literally would have had to head home for a change of underwear. Just thinking about it makes a part of my body tighten up like a skinny dip in Lake Michigan in the winter.

17. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Thats a crock..............

I know, that wasn't very nice of me to say. I do know there have been many tests done to show the modern 1911's are as safe as their plastic counter parts (Glocks) when dropped. :roll:
    You can find a lot out about this over at syd's 1911 forum. Most modern fire arms go through testing for safety under a lot of circumstances including being dropped from different hieghts.
    Just my :2cents: