So I Stop These Atlanta Officers . . .(updated 9/24/07)

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by mzmtg, Jul 11, 2007.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I talked with a couple of foot patrol officers this afternoon downtown in front of the Peachtree Center Mall entrances (APD Zone 5). Both appeared to be in their mid thirties, one asian man, one black woman. I didn't note their names or anything.

Anyway, I asked them simply "What would you do if you saw a man walking down the street here, minding his own business, with a gun on his belt, in a holster?"

The female officer asked, "In plain view?"

"Yeah."

"Nothing. If it's in plain view, and he's not bothering anyone, we wouldn't do anything."

I asked if they had been given specific training, or would they just evaluate each person/situation individually. They said that as long as the person with the gun didn't appear to be causing any trouble or wearing an ugly tie, they wouldn't contact that person at all.

They added that they get frequent calls from hotels in the area asking them to remove people with visible weapons. When I asked if this happens often, they both replied, "Oh yeah, all the time."

I thanked them for their time and went on my way.

So, good news from those two particular APD officers... 8)

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Fixed it for you!

4. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

Re: So I Stop These Atlanta Officers . . .

So they get calls from the hotel asking them to remove people carrying on hotel property or are the hotels calling with 'man with a gun' calls on people in public? Did the officers say what they did?

5. newarcher

newarcher Guest

I am shocked......

I haven't had great experiences with Atlanta Police at all....and I wasn't carrying.

New

6. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

They were referring to hotel property. They didn't say specifically how they handled such situations.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, I am sure if they are asking to "Remove" them it is coming from managment, and the officers have no choice in the matter. Just like if you called the police to your house because of a trespasser.

8. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Maybe they are nicer to armed citezens than they are disarmed subjects.... :wink:

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Glad to see some LEOs know the law.

10. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Next Statesboro officers I see, I'm gonna stop them.

Same goes for next time I'm in Savannah.

11. Axeman

Axeman New Member

:shock:

I am encouraged.

12. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I stopped and talked with two officers at the corner of Peachtree & Baker (Zone 5, again).

Both stated that it was illegal to open carry, even with a permit. They were under the impression that legal, licensed carry requires concealment. One related a tale of a man stopped for open carry recently that was not arrested, but given a warning (no more details). He also said that they “can stop†anyone with a gun, so he strongly advised against it. They both acknowledged GA’s confusing firearms laws “one law says one thing, but it’s overridden by another which may be in conflict with another…â€

The younger officer then asked why I was planning to carry a gun, did I carry large amounts of money or anything like that. I said I would carry for the same reason they do, for protection. “Well, we actually encounter dangerous people, so it’s not the same.â€

:roll:

I thanked them for their time and went on my way.

13. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

So...where are all these badguys they encounter? All shipped off to this one island that only the cops have access to?

No? So where are they? Oh, they're all around us, you say? So...are you going to follow me and my family around, 24/7 to ensure we are protected from these bad guys? No? Hmmmm...

Guess that's why I'll be carrying a gun too, then... :roll:

14. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Well, the BGs on the island (jail) are let out all the time, so it's more of a peninsula ;)

15. Axeman

Axeman New Member

:rotfl:

16. Axeman

Axeman New Member

+1

I am sure glad that non LEO never come in contact with BGs! :roll: I mean it is only LEO that get robbed, beat down, raped, pillaged, murdered, and burglarized:!: So it makes me feel better that I don't have to worry about getting picked on because I am not LEO.

I think guys like this should be glad that lowly citizens are pakin' heat in case the BGs gang up and out number the cops so the rest of us can sneak up on them and catch em' since they won't even notice us since we are not in uniform.
    :shattered:
    Man, was that a long sentence. I am going to get a "D-" on my post now. :oops:

17. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Don't be rediculous!

It wasn't THAT good...

18. Axeman

Axeman New Member

I was hoping it would be graded on the curve. Besides I went to gobment skools, you have to pass me anyway right?

19. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

no... you just get assigned to the "special" class.

20. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

At least here the confusing thing is a cop out (no pun intended). 16-11-128 is pretty damn clear. It either is or isn't legal to open carry with a GFL (generally speaking). Now if we get into specifics about public gatherings then yes it can be confusing.

A warning LOL, I would be lodging an official complaint against those officers if I was that GFL holder.

I wonder where we get some of our police officers? Chicago, Baltimore, Boston, DC, and NYC?