So I picked up a new Backup drive

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Fallschirmjäger, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Seemed like a pretty good deal for $149 when it was on sale. 8 Terrorbites plus 2 additional USB ports. Then I got to thinking, maybe I should take this opportunity to replace the 4Tb Media drive I've got that only has 353Gb of space left on it?

I went shopping for 8TB internal drives and now I'm wondering...
    Why Are Internal Drives More Expensive Than External Drives??
    I swear they're practically twice as much and for less equipment when you really think about it.

[​IMG]

2. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Internal drives are cheap - you just need to use a good store for them, like Microcenter, or an online resource like amazon. External backup drives are nice (I actually have the same drive on my iMac for my Time Machine backups) as it can give you a local, quick restore option. However, I also use a cloud service to do backups in the unlikely event something takes out the iMac and the external drive (e.g. lighting strike).

3. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

I just looked at that drive at Microcenter's web page. They don't mention RPM or transfer speed, just USB 3.0. Something the reviewers complain about was the lack of specs.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  4. RedDawnTheMusical

That's typical of external drives from just about everyone, until you get into high-end units designed for fast access for stuff like video editing. Usually these drives just have 5400 RPM drives and they advertise the interface speed vs. the sustained read/write speed. Also, some of these drives have data storage techniques that slow down sustained write actions, depending on the drive type and size. In general, drives like this are good for automated backups, but you have to be careful when using them for other applications.

5. hammerg26

hammerg26 Member

Which Cloud service?

6. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

I use a Synology DS218+. It will sync to their Cloud, Amazon S3, Google Drive, Amazon Glacier, and a few others.

I sync to an external drive via USB 3 that I take off site once a month or whenever there is a mass media change.

Works great.

7. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Best buy, like they did 6 months ago, is selling a 8TB external drive containing an WD 7200rpm Red drive for $160. Youtube tells you how to open the case and extract it for your desktop PC. It's a bit tricky to open the case, needs something like an old credit card to push some latches out of the way. Of course a carefully applied cut off wheel would work too. Terrific deal.

8. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

That's a bit of what I was expecting; a HD is a HD (well as far as I know one is). Extracting the HD from the shell shouldn't be that technical......

9. Taurus92

I just swapped out my laptop drive for an SSD and have noticed many new machines at microcenter have a smaller SSD for the OS + a larger HD for the mass storage. I would think the typical external doesn't need the speed of an internal, which fits with the pricing difference.

10. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

SDDs are coming down in price and where possible I have swapped to them. I've had several external spinners just die unexpectedly over the last several years. Never rely on any one drive.......

AtlPhilip likes this.
  11. Taurus92

This is my first SSD and the boot time is incredible. I do worry about its durability, but like you point out, spinners die too. Thus the need for sync software.

12. RedDawnTheMusical

For my iMac and MacBook, I use Apple’s iCloud service as it is automatic and allows me to share files between the Macs as if they are local files (so I don’t need Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.) for the Macs. For the PCs I use JungleDisk, which is a more traditional cloud backup solution that does scheduled backups that uses a software client installed on the PC.

13. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Actually it looks to me like SSD's price drops have stalled for the past 6 months at least. I've been waiting to buy a 512GB one for my laptop, will wait a little longer.

They say all the smart devices being sold are keeping the mem prices up.

14. Taurus92

I went to buy some thumb drives last week and was surprised how high prices were.

15. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Still same price. One video said look for "made in Thailand" because it's 256mb cache vs 128Mb.

And being careful when opening it is only a pre-requisite if you want to not break the latches and keep the case. Otherwise, a screwdriver works fine.

16. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I would have never guessed where the latches were without the video.
    Oh, I goofed, it is a 5400rpm drive. Then again it is a 'red' - touted for NAS storage...

17. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

If you are going to get a SSD get a Samsung 850 pro or the new 860 pro. They are the 1911's of the SSD world. They will just ugly away they last so long.

AtlPhilip likes this.
  18. Taurus92

Advertising for Samsung I see.

free people my :3hat:.
    I thought that crap went away.

19. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

agreed, got them in three of my/family desktops