So I just got my first ever call from Windows Support.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by TITAN308, Aug 12, 2016.

1. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

And I have just gotten home from eating Moe's.

Perfect timing.

Place phone to arse and gave the 21 gun salute to "Alex" the rep on the other end. Probably the highlight of my day (which may be kind of sad really).

I always heard about people getting these calls, but in all the years never once was lucky enough to get my own. Dreams do come true. :|

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Out of the blue? You didn't put in a request? What the heck were they asking?

3. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

Its a common scam. They are just dialing numbers from a database of numbers hoping to get someone to bite.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/anatomy-scam-windows-tech-support-con-examined/

I didn't give him time to say what he wanted. "Alex" of heavy Indian accent introduced himself, then promptly hung up after getting a human trumbone earful.

4. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

The big clue is "Windows" support. If "Microsoft" was to call you, I'm pretty sure they would use the correct company name.

Az

5. phaed

phaed Active Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmKtS-k12b0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmKtS-k12b0[/ame]

6. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

Microsoft support would NEVER call you. Not without you calling first and opening an incident.

7. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

And paying for it first.

8. emptybrass

emptybrass Member

I had some time on the day that I received one of my many Windows Support calls and I instantly went into my 'old man' mode. Long story short, my game plan was that I had a 386 - 16 PC with no internet connection and my grandson was the only one that used it, when he visited. Took the guy 20 minutes to figure it out.

9. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

See? Genuine Microsoft would have figured it out in five minutes but still charged you for the whole hour / incident.

10. ET.

ET. Active Member

I was also a lucky recipient of a Windows tech call. When he introduced himself I said "Oh great I've been waiting for your call. Please hold while I get my computer." Then I held the receiver up real close and screamed like I was being burnt alive. He hung up and surprisingly never called 911. Go figure...

11. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

I get them a lot.

Last time I told them I had eight computers but only one ran windows so they would have to bear with me while I figured it out. I then told then my kid was on the windows computer and they would have to wait for their 30 minutes they have allotted for CPU time to pass as I didn't want an angry kid. I had them on the phone for 30 minutes before they hung up on me.

I do this because if I can prevent them from calling a single person who may fall for it I feel like I've done good.

12. 1911

1911 7 Year Member

The Tom Mabe thing is still funny. :D