So a Man Goes Squirrel Hunting with a Pellet Gun . . .

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

.... and they couldn't find him without help from the guys mom. :roll:

3. ber950

ber950 Active Member

:shock: Its a GUN everybody panic :!:
    These school admin types have got to get a clue :(

4. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I have to admit, although I think the police went overboard on the search, I do think that a lock-down of the school was a good idea.

I have 4 kids in public schools and I know that the school officer does not carry a weapon...I would prefer the administration lock my kids in if they see a gun near the property than do nothing at all.

I know the ideal situation is to change the laws and allow the public to carry in school zones...but we know that those days are probably gone for good.

5. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun New Member

so the days of talk softly and CARRY a big stick are over...
    how about SCREAM IT FROM THE MOUNTAIN TOPS and use the dang thing

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Now this is an over-reaction...
    School evacuated because of a broken thermometer.
    http://www.mlive.com/flinttownship/news ... xml&coll=5

Just in case you have not read much about elemental mercury (the stuff in thermometers) and its real dosage for health effect (dose makes the poison), with the amount of mercury in a thermometer, you have to basically:
    A. break the thermometer and stab the broken end into your flesh; or
    B. drink the mercury while suffering from stomach ulcers (normal/healthy digestive system can handle what little might be absorbed); or
    C. inhale the mercury vapor, you must realize though that since mercury is a liquid at room temp, it evaporates very slowly and you have to have prolonged exposier (8 hrs a day for many months) in a small and poorly ventilated room. Even then it would take much more mercury than one thermometer holds if it is airborn.

To put it another way... if you could flash evaporate all the elemental mercury from a thermometer inside the average sized class room, the level of mercury in the air would be below the Federal danger/evacuate level.

I remember when I was in school, we used to have people at there that knew the dangers and toxicity of various chemicals/elements and how to properly deal with spills. What did we call them...

Oh yeah, Science Teachers.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

What's the LD50 of mercury?

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Those days are not gone even now in some states.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Elemental Mercury Vapor LD50: 113 mg/m3

(I think this talking about the amount found in the blood)

A typical fever type thermometer holds 0.5 to 3 g of elemental mercury. Though most only contain around 1g.

Experiments at CLEAPSS suggest that a drop of diameter 6mm loses only 0.01 g in seven months. That is some slow evaporation.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Thanks for the info GS1.