Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you all actually carry a 38 special. I know most choose autoloaders but I am leaning toward a snubnose 38. I like that it can be easily concealed and still have good firepower. What kind of load would be the best to carry in one? I am looking into a revolver because of ease of use and reliabality. I have carried a autoloader since I recieved my GWl in March.Just curious of drawback or positivies of a revolver.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
I carry a couple of S&W J or K frame primary. It's not for "spray and pray you hit something" mentality. They do go bang every time.

I use the Winchester PDX 130 grain JHP +P as my preferred loading right now.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
I've got 3, all different brands and styles. Favorite is the S&W w/shrouded hammer .357. Shoots hard !

·
Registered
347 Posts
50% of the time I carry my Ruger LCR 38 + P. At first I didn't care for the thing and only wore it strapped to my ankle while at work. Now I tend to carry it often. I know it will go bang everytime, its light weight and easy to fit anywhere on your person. I carry it with Gold Dot +p 135 grain hp rounds.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I rely heavily on my SW 642 for off-duty pocket carry. It is light, affordable, extremely reliable, backed by a major US manufacturer, corrosion resistant, fits in a front pocket and with the right ammo packs more power than a .380ACP. My load of choice is currently the Speer 135 gr GDHP Short Barrel +P. But I carried the traditional Remington "FBI Load" R38S12 158 gr LSWCHP +P as an on-duty backup for years prior.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I was thinkin along the same lines as you all do. I wanted something that is dead on realiable and easy to carry and conceal. I was looking at the S&W 337pd as a good choice. Do any of you all have any experience with it.?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I began carrying one again just recently because of a need for a dependable gun with a slim profile that could be deeply concealed. I looked at all the .380's and felt that for my purposes nothing beats a S&W J-frame wheelgun.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the Kel tec 380 and didnt like it at all. I really like the all around purpose for a wheelgun. They fit the bill very nicely.I am looking at a couple revolvers now. A model 64 and a 337pd

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Speaking for myself, I prefer the Airweight series to the titanium revolvers, like the AirLite 337PD. The aluminum and steel combination in the Airweight series makes the gun light enough for easy pocket carry, without making it so light that +P loads recoil excessively and just makes it too uncomfortable.

Everyone's interpretation of recoil is subjective, so YMMV. But if I were you, I would fire off a box of 50 158gr +P loads in a 337PD if you can and see how you like it compared to a 642 or even a steel framed revolver such as the model 64. For me, the 642 is as light as I would want to go. I find that a lighter revolver makes me not want to practice as much, or use weaker ammo than I would normally carry.

As far as the .380s go, I prefer the .38 special +P over it all things being equal. But I have to say that there are applications for which I cannot pack even the small J-frame. For those times, the little Ruger LCP fills the niche nicely.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Match10 said:
I carry a couple of S&W J or K frame primary. It's not for "spray and pray you hit something" mentality. They do go bang every time.

I use the Winchester PDX 130 grain JHP +P as my preferred loading right now.
what holster is that match10?, im trying to find a decent belt holster for my gf's j-frame

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I used to carry a 642 Airweight, but have drifted towards a Kahr. It's slimmer, feels lighter, and I don't have to worry about the speedloader knob getting twisted or bumped the wrong way in my pocket.

Still, snubbies are great. I still fiddle around with mine and keep it in the car when traveling. Not something you would want to shoot a ton out of, but definitely better than nothing. I kept/keep mine loaded with the 110gr. Corbon DPX +P ammo. The recoil isn't bad, but the bullet will do nasty things. Avoid any heavy bullets, such as the 158gr. in +P.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If i can get rid of the Steyr i have I plan on getting one. I already decided to get the Gold dot 135 grain +p. I have been very pleased with the gold odts in my Glock 19,22,and My 1911 that i had. I doubt the will let me down now

·
Registered
840 Posts
I carry a Taurus Snubbie on a daily basis. It is easy to keep deeply concealed in a Kydex IWB i made.
My P3-AT is also easy to carry, but i like and shoot the Snubbie better.

I carry Hornady Gritical Defense in mine. +p when i can find it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a 637 and sold it. I have kicked myself ever since then for doing it. I have just been real intrested in revolvers for about the last month and kinda shying away from autoloaders. I want one to be easier to carry and not have to worry about mags,jamming,and etc.

·
Custom User Title
2,006 Posts
Lately my preferred carry is a 2" Colt Cobra. Very comfortable IWB even if it is a 6 rounds revolver.
It is the pistol I am more comfortable with. Reliable, always ready, easy to conceal. As far as accuracy at short distance, in rapid fire, it is not better or worst than a semi-auto of the same size.
With Federal 38 Special 125 Nyclad HP (P38MA).

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
DeSantis TBS (Thumb Break Scabbard)

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
New2Atlanta said:
I've got 3, all different brands and styles. Favorite is the S&W w/shrouded hammer .357. Shoots hard !
x2
fits in my front pocket

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I have to Deep Conceal quite often, and my S&W 642 is snuggled up around my ankle during those times. And when I'm able to OC or CC something larger I -still- usually have the 642 on me somewhere.

Small, light, dependable, and the +P ammo is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I have to Deep Conceal quite often, and my S&W 642 is snuggled up around my ankle during those times. And when I'm able to OC or CC something larger I -still- usually have the 642 on me somewhere.

Small, light, dependable, and the +P ammo is nothing to sneeze at.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts