Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am comfortable carrying my full sized Glock in a hybrid holster but my SW 642 is my constant companion. My first holster was the flimsy kind that you cannot re-holster and then a belly band. Both are good options if you understand the trade offs being made. I have a Remora sticky which is okay, but had it go sliding down my leg while helping a disabled negihbor with something in her garden (bending over, working with a post and hammer), and had to cover by having a belt wardrobe malfunction to excuse myself back to my car to fix the situation. I'm thinking it's time to get something more substantial.

I put aftermarket Hogue grips on pistol extend the handle so I can have a full grasp, including my pinky. This helps me shoot more accurately with my whole hand on the pistol, but does make pocket carry a bit harder in all but very deep pockets. It is a snubby, I don't love the trigger pull but I have trained with it to the point of proficiency.

I'm not looking for the super deep, no one at this wedding can know I am armed method - have that covered. I'm looking for the every day carry solution grocery store, taking the family to the beach vacation in concealed carry only states, driving car on the way to said vacation, etc.

What do y'all veteran carriers tend to use for a gun you wear all day, every day, including in the summer?

I'm not overly cost sensitive. Not looking for a $20 cheapo. Even up to $200 for the most excellent option would be a consideration if it would be perfect. I would cry for a year if such holster ended up in the dreaded holster box though.

·
Super Moderator
71,566 Posts
I typically wear outside the waistband with an untucked shirt over a full sized pistol, even in Florida. I brought my appendix-carry-inside-the-waistband-10mm-compact to Florida last time, but I ended up not wearing it once. I used my model 20 full size the entire trip.

My IWB holster is made by Zookeper, with the hooks from a major manufacturer. Zookeper does not like making that type, though, so I had to urge, cajole, threaten, pester, etc. . . .

He does have his own design for IWB that lots of persons wear and love, though, and I think he is plenty happy to make those.

If I were you, I would get one of each, that is, one outside and one inside. I bet $$$ you wear the outside more often.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I typically wear outside the waistband with an untucked shirt over a full sized pistol, even in Florida. I brought my appendix-carry-inside-the-waistband-10mm-compact to Florida last time, but I ended up not wearing it once. I used my model 20 full size the entire trip....
Interesting. I have a question then related to a different pistol than my OP.

Is your favorite holster for that full sized pistol open or closed bottom? I ask because I did buy an airsoft version of my full sized pistol for training purposes. The dimensions are close, but especially while leaving that orange tip on needs a bit more room for the longer barrel than the real pistol. I have no desire to remove the orange tip for practical safety reasons given its usage. It's nice to practice with the same holster one uses for real.

·
Super Moderator
71,566 Posts
Zookeper's holster is open bottomed enough that the tip would poke out, so it would work well for you.

My standard holster is a beautiful warthog and ostrich holster, black and dark brown. He does good work.

Reactions: frankr

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
I carry a Shield 45 or PMR-30 in a Remora. I find autos are a better pick for Remoras than snubbies on account of the lump caused by the cylinder. When I carry an SP101, I have found Thunderwear to be ideal for even a no-belt situation. I once had a clip holster like this for the SP101 and liked the overall setup for appendix carry but thought leather might be easier on the squishy human.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
16,858 Posts
I carry All day, every day. If I have more than tighty whiteys on I am carrying. Its near always something like this, under a non-tucked shirt or Tshirt if cover wanted.

This hold a S&W 5906 very well. I was almost a bit surprised by it.

On occasion when its needed to be deep covered its an Alien Gear built similar to the Galco King Tuck. I have the plastic shell for that for a 1911, 5906 and Hi Power. I don't see the original IWB type Alien Gear on their website. Get a decent shell and piece of leather and you can make one up to fit that you are comfortable with.

On quick cover days it often similar to this. And that Ace Case if actually quite comfortable and accessible.

Decent starting points for further research.

I believe about any suggestion above would work well for a wheelgun also. Looking specifically for concealment for that I would start at the Alien Gear or Galco type.

Or you could try to find an old Bucheimer Federal Man to fit.

Nemo

·
Registered
335 Posts
I carry All day, every day. If I have more than tighty whiteys on I am carrying. Its near always something like this, under a non-tucked shirt or Tshirt if cover wanted.

This hold a S&W 5906 very well. I was almost a bit surprised buy it.

On occasion when its needed to be deep covered its an Alien Gear built similar to the Galco King Tuck. I have the plastic shell for that for a 1911, 5906 and Hi Power. I don't see the original IWB type Alien Gear on their website. Get a decent shell and piece of leather and you can make one up to fit what you are comfortable with.

On quick cover days it often similar to this. And that Ace Case if actually quite comfortable and accessible.

Decent starting points for further research.

Nemo
When the OP is somewhat satisfied, I'll have to ask you for your observations on the 5906.

·
Custom User Title
2,095 Posts
What do y'all veteran carriers tend to use for a gun you wear all day, every day, including in the summer?
Last year I switched to appendix carry and after several tries I eventually found the solution that allows me to carry all day long comfortably both my compact and my sub compact. I like this solution for several reason, but among them is the fact that it allows to reach to the weapon when I am driving. Coincidentally it is also similar to the way I used to carry my Colt Detective few years ago.
A picture would be the best way to explain what I did, so if you are interested in appendix carry let me know and I would be happy to take a couple of pictures and post them.
Wen I carry OWB, I use only package style holsters, from sub compact to full size. They are the best in keeping the weapon as close to the body as possible, but I am not sure of how they would work with a revolver.
This one was made by Zookeper/CB's Leather Works, I jave just received it.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
14,074 Posts
Last year I switched to appendix carry and after several tries I eventually found the solution that allows me to carry all day long comfortably both my compact and my sub compact. I like this solution for several reason, but among them is the fact that it allows to reach to the weapon when I am driving. Coincidentally it is also similar to the way I used to carry my Colt Detective few years ago.
A picture would be the best way to explain what I did, so if you are interested in appendix carry let me know and I would be happy to take a couple of pictures and post them.
Wen I carry OWB, I use only package style holsters, from sub compact to full size. They are the best in keeping the weapon as close to the body as possible, but I am not sure of how they would work with a revolver.
This one was made by Zookeper/CB's Leather Works, I jave just received it.

That looks great. I received one from him today for my Colt King Cobra.
Wood Fashion accessory Personal protective equipment Blade Paint

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Adam5, that is a beautiful holster! I'd personally go for a more sedate/less aggressive look, but that is very on brand for a nice Colt!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Billennium, whoa! That is beutiful. I do not see myself going super fancy to avoid calling undue attention if the holster is exposed. I am not a flashy dresser, but that brown with black trim is really nice looking. I could see that being something I would like too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ask away! I've e-mailed Chuck.
Just a general question to anyone who owns (and particularly, if they carry) a 5906 or something like it.

I was seeing prices for used firearms in the S&W 'metal semi' family going up steadily before Covid-19, and was tempted to spring for one if I saw one in good condition. The group I normally hang out with up here in CT are mostly 'friendly sharers', but nobody has one for me to try out. What's the consensus? Pros vs Cons, etc.

E.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
16,858 Posts
When the OP is somewhat satisfied, I'll have to ask you for your observations on the 5906.
I purchased one as a primary carry in GA because of the heat, my sweating on it, the stainless steel, ease of cleaning and no rust. I clean mine with field strip, hot soapy water, towel dry, (Hoppes #9 if needed) with light oil rag wipe for lube as reassembly.

I got mine as a police trade in for $265 or so in my door from Budsgunshop dot com. Springs and grips were replace and have had no problems whatsoever. Its my loose cover / open EDC. I really like the double action trigger for safety engaged, round chambered carry. It is my primary by the bed hearing a clunk in the night weapon. One large reason for that is its one I would prefer to lose should it get logged into an evidence room until the unpleasantries were all sorted out.

I would recommend it behind a 1911 or Hi Power. But it being a S&W, the way its made, materials, reliability, overall quality, 17 round mags, loss preference and other considerations-- Get One.

If you can-- get one. Treat it proper and it will take care of you. If you get one and don't like it, PM me for a haggle on me adopting it.

Nemo

mine is gen 3, square checkered trigger guard.

Reactions: frankr

·
Man of Myth and Legend
16,858 Posts
inadvertent double post.
N

·
Registered
335 Posts
I purchased one as a primary carry in GA because of the heat, my sweating on it, the stainless steel, ease of cleaning and no rust. I clean mine with field strip, hot soapy water, towel dry, (Hoppes #9 if needed) with light oil rag wipe for lube as reassembly.

I got mine as a police trade in for $265 or so in my door from Budsgunshop dot com. Springs and grips were replace and have had no problems whatsoever. Its my loose cover / open EDC. I really like the double action trigger for safety engaged, round chambered carry. It is my primary by the bed hearing a clunk in the night weapon. One large reason for that is its one I would prefer to lose should it get logged into an evidence room until the unpleasantries were all sorted out.

I would recommend it behind a 1911 or Hi Power. But it being a S&W, the way its made, materials, reliability, overall quality, 17 round mags, loss preference and other considerations-- Get One.

If you can-- get one. Treat it proper and it will take care of you. If you get one and don't like it, PM me for a haggle on me adopting it.

Nemo

mine is gen 3, square checkered trigger guard.

I've ended up somewhat accidentally with a fairly significant sampling of Wonder Nines, so the addition of a 5906 or something very similar is essential.

I think the gun harks back to a time when S&W made reliable, desirable products (buy me some beers and I can tell you some stories about my recent experience of S&W), and that Reservoir Dogs vibe is hard to reject. (Yes, I know they actually used 6906's in the movie)

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the summer, it's very hot in my state, so I walk down the street practically naked and in order for me to carry a gun, I need a holster that is made of genuine leather and it's problematic to wear it in the summer because I sweat a lot because of it. Therefore, I found a lot of info in which I found myself a suitable holster for the summer, it is very light and made of breathable material, besides it is suitable for my Glock -19. However, such a holster is not desirable for carrying except in summer, because in other seasons I use a thick IBM holster. I can help you with choosing a holster for the summer because many people have such a problem, and I can already easily figure it out and help you with advice and information. Good luck friend!

·
Man of Myth and Legend
16,858 Posts
What state is that? Won't be much hotter than South Georgia. Of course if its Arizona or New Mexico you have the advantage of lower humidity also.

Nemo

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
In the summer, it's very hot in my state, so I walk down the street practically naked and in order for me to carry a gun, I need a holster that is made of genuine leather and it's problematic to wear it in the summer because I sweat a lot because of it.
Welcome!

I tend to wear a synthetic sleeveless tee as a base layer (even in summer, wicking fabrics are amazing) to reduce holster friction on my person and provide some breathability but there are also holsters with breathable (and washable) backings adopted from fields of wheelchair ergonomics and running/backpacking gear. Search for “breathable holster” and you’ll find several!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts