Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glenn Burns has been predicting a possible blizzard this Sunday night.

Any weather fans out there? I seriously don't want to be stuck in any kind of traffic when it starts. Even if I am 10 minutes from home. The last time, it took me 17 hours to get home from work.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Not a fan of blizzards but he is the one who predicted the blizzard back in the early nineties. Looks like the hot December days are over after this weekend.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
It may snow, but with a high of 60 that morning, and the previous week of record high temps, the ground is far too warm for anything major to stick.

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may snow, but with a high of 60 that morning, and the previous week of record high temps, the ground is far too warm for anything major to stick.
Isn't that what happened during the ice storm? It snowed, melted, then turned into thick coke bottle slick ice?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Driving home from Nashville Sunday morning. Don't need a blizzard.

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,570 Posts
Driving home from Nashville Sunday morning. Don't need a blizzard.
Hehehe. I have done exactly that! There were cars on the side of the road going up that first mountain south of Nashville, but my little Datsun climbed it with no chains or snow tires.

And the snow just kept falling...

I wish you a safe trip!

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was on a motorcycle in 93 when I took a trip from Tampa to Kennesaw when the blizzard hit Atlanta. I was on 75 North and my helmet face mask froze over. I just followed the blurry red lights in front of me.

I was young. Not doing that again.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,706 Posts
New weather report says Sunday's low temperature will be 37°

I'm not sure at what hour of the day that might happen, but clearly there won't be ice if this forecast is accurate.

Reactions: Schweisshund

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,706 Posts
I seriously don't want to be stuck in any kind of traffic when it starts. ..The last time, it took me 17 hours to get home from work.

I might enjoy the challenge of driving home through axle deep snow if I had my four-wheel-drive and if I didn't have to contend with other cars blocking the road in front of me.
(I'm from Buffalo, NY and spent several winters there as an adult driving on those roads personally.)

But as these conditions do not exist in my life today, and I'm sure that other cars WILL get stuck and block the roads,

If I were to travel to work, I would bring enough supplies and reading material or games to play to occupy my time so that if it wasn't safe to drive home I could just get snowed in at work. Without being miserable.
Think of it as "indoor camping" and the building is better than any tent you'd find in the woods.
I'd throw a sleeping bag on the carpeted floor of the conference room. Watch TV if there's electricity, and if the power goes out I could play a battery powered radio.
Or work a crossword puzzle by the light of a single LED lantern that can burn for 150 hours on two "C" Batteries...

As to driving in snow and ice among a bunch of Southerners in 2WD cars and SUV's who have no experience successfully driving in snow or ice-- I'll pass.

(But doze ******** with lifted four-wheel-drive trucks and giant mud tires ....they'll do OK on snow or rough, crusty ice, unless their technique is absolutely horrible or they try to do donuts just to show off , and end up on their side in a ditch.)

When I had a pickup truck four-wheel-drive, which did not have any type of Posi-Trac or a locking differential, but did have about 400 pounds of sand bags stacked (and braced in place) near the tailgate, I could drive through fluffy snow is as tall as the middle of my doors.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,706 Posts
Red-necks

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,706 Posts
Red-necks
Without the hyphen, apparently that's a censored word here at Georgiapacking!
Big Brother is going to step in and make sure we don't offend anybody.

Do you know what I've got to say to that?

Knigge, please!

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,743 Posts
(I'm from Buffalo, NY and spent several winters there as an adult driving on those roads personally.)
That explains your liberal hints regarding some gun control.

But another 15 or so years in GA you might be truly Southernized.

Nemo

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The problem with driving in snow/ice in the South isn't lack of experience or ability, it is the lack of a need for a frost line in our building codes. Our ground is warm and freezing precipitation always melts. While it melts, it cools the ground ( or more importantly, the pavement) but leaves a coating of water behind. Best case, it is slush, at least at the beginning. Up north, the ground is below freezing in winter so the precipitation doesn't melt. It can be easily moved aside. Down here, when it gets dark and the surface temps drop below freezing, the slush freezes into ice (many times it's black ice). That is the real reason driving in or following frozen precipitation in the South causes so many accidents.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The problem with driving in snow/ice in the South isn't lack of experience or ability, it is the lack of a need for a frost line in our building codes. Our ground is warm and freezing precipitation always melts. While it melts, it cools the ground ( or more importantly, the pavement) but leaves a coating of water behind. Best case, it is slush, at least at the beginning. Up north, the ground is below freezing in winter so the precipitation doesn't melt. It can be easily moved aside. Down here, when it gets dark and the surface temps drop below freezing, the slush freezes into ice (many times it's black ice). That is the real reason driving in or following frozen precipitation in the South causes so many accidents.
You dont think that in Spring up north there isn't some thawing during the day and refreezing at night?

I hate to tell you, but your theory is wrong, and in practice it doesn't hold water in my experience. The biggest issue in Atlanta when it snows is traffic and people that dont know how to drive in snow and ice. I've never had any issues getting around Atlanta with any fancy 4wd or snow

·
Registered
170 Posts
WSB weather dude is saying the ground is much too warm for much snow accumulation around ATL. Hope he is correct if it actually happens.

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That explains your liberal hints regarding some gun control.

But another 15 or so years in GA you might be truly Southernized.

Nemo

I am trying to get to the next level of red-neck. I surpassed tier 8 a while back.

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You dont think that in Spring up north there isn't some thawing during the day and refreezing at night?

I hate to tell you, but your theory is wrong, and in practice it doesn't hold water in my experience. The biggest issue in Atlanta when it snows is traffic and people that dont know how to drive in snow and ice. I've never had any issues getting around Atlanta with any fancy 4wd or snow
The last ice storm, and resulting chaos, is the reason tractor trailers can no longer travel ITP in Atlanta unless they are making a delivery. They have to take 285.

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,003 Posts
Glenn Burns tends to get too excited with his forecasts and sometimes exaggerates.

Reactions: mountainman444

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,330 Posts
The last ice storm, and resulting chaos, is the reason tractor trailers can no longer travel ITP in Atlanta unless they are making a delivery. They have to take 285.
I moved to GA in July 1993 and it was the law then. We have had several ice storms since then. GA code 40-6-51 was put in place in 1981 so which "last" Ice storm was that? The last ice storm I recall was in January 2014. I drove in from Dallas Texas March 1993 to get snowed in with what is now my current wife. Since I have been here I recall the one in 2000 then again in 2011 and of course 2014 when it took me 12 hours to drive home when under normal conditions would only have taken 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I moved to GA in July 1993 and it was the law then. We have had several ice storms since then. GA code 40-6-51 was put in place in 1981 so which "last" Ice storm was that? The last ice storm I recall was in January 2014. I drove in from Dallas Texas March 1993 to get snowed in with what is now my current wife. Since I have been here I recall the one in 2000 then again in 2011 and of course 2014 when it took me 12 hours to drive home when under normal conditions would only have taken 15 minutes.
According to this, that section was revised in 2014

1 - 20 of 36 Posts