Snow coming this weekend!

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by gunsmoker, Jan 5, 2017.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Snow is predicted for this weekend.
    Will it cause traffic jams?
    Will ice cause trees to fall across power lines and knock out the electricity to entire neighborhoods?

Who knows?
    If the roads are bad, I'm not driving on them. Not around all these hills of North Georgia. I'll walk the mile or two to the local convenience store or dollar store if I need something.

HERE'S AN ARTICLE about how to prep for a winter storm and be ready to ride it out, and what you should have with you or in your vehicle for survival if you end up stuck in your car or sheltered in some building that does not have its own supply of food and other things.

http://survivalcache.com/20-things-you-need-in-your-get-home-bag-bug-out-bag/

P.S. Today I'm going to put a blaze orange hunting jacket in my vehicle--in case I end up having to walk along the highway. It's big enough to wear over any other jacket or clothing I may already have on, AND it's bright so that it will make me highly visible, even in a snow storm.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Time for a French Toast Emergency!

(Buy all the bread, milk, and eggs you can.)

3. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Funny you mention this. We got back yesterday from a long trip and were pretty short on rations. Knowing that the grocery store would be a mad house later, I went to do my normal shopping around 7:30 this AM. As expected, there were very few people there which was great. However, when I left, a saw a man loading 6 gallons of milk in his car! Now, I know not to assume anything, but barring having 7 kids, that just seems slightly ridiculous.

I think what I find most entertaining is that I would guess that the average American has about 2 weeks worth of food in their kitchens....I know I had at LEAST that much even before going to the store! But...gotta keep up with the Jonesese...and that means buying a bunch of unnecessary stuff for an event that will most likely last only a few days.

4. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Well...I know folks with 7 kids...and I've purchased 6 gallons of milk at a time when I make cheese.

I would be surprised if the average suburban/urban American has 4 days. Access to food is hilariously low on my list of concerns because my current location has something crazy like 7 standard grocery stores, 2 boutique/natural food stores, 3 big box stores that happen to have expansive grocery sections, 2 permanent farmers markets, 2 weekend farmers markets, and a number of ethnic groceries within a 5 mile walk/bike/drive. That doesn't mean I don't have a month of rice and dry beans on a shelf in the pantry...just that I apparently have more access to food than somebody homesteading.

5. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Mmmm milk sandwiches

6. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

Guess I'll skip the Garand match at RBGC Saturday. Though I'm sure it was colder at Bastogne in Dec-Jan '44.

7. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I remember my lessons learned on car equipment, from 3 years ago, when I was caught at work during Snowpacalypse 2014 and it took me 14 hours to get home.

* Don't let gas gauge get below half.
    * Have water and some snacks (granola bars, etc.).
    * Have cell phone, gps map capable, and ac cord.
    * Have jumper cables.
    * Have a flashlight.
    * Have a blanket, extra dry clothes.

8. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I'm gonna end up stuck at work if this happens.

9. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

You and i both man.

10. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Perhaps only 4 days of stuff people *want* to eat, but for straight survival purposes, there is a lot of stuff that languishes in the cabinets. And the fact remains that a large segment of our population *should* go a couple of days without eating anyway... :runaway:

And Frankie is suggesting 6-12" of snow :)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QANHALvkHZs[/ame]

11. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

And if able, just call in sick in the AM; risk mitigation in full effect! ;)

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My office is preemptively closing early tomorrow. Instead of being staffed 8a-11p, everyone is to work 8a-4p.

13. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Schools are already announcing closing at 1pm tomorrow......

14. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I have to be at work 1900 Friday until 07 Saturday, then back Sunday night.

I'll probably end up staying at work and working Saturday night for the folks who can't make it in.

That's fine with me; plenty of OT. And if they don't let me leave they have to pay me while I'm there.

I'd almost rather stay because it's a long drive from Flowery Branch to the O4W

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  15. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I have chains for all 4 tires on my truck and my 4X4 Durango. Even though I will be staying home unless some emergency crops up I won't need them yet. My truck is equipped with thermal blankets and the Durango has a Survival Frog kit with stuff for the cold weather. Toss a few bottles of water and a few nutritional bars in your vehicle ad ride it out if you get stuck.

16. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

I'm going to the mountains.

17. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Well, I have 5 lbs of dry beans cold soaking now. In the morning, I'll rinse again and add 6 lbs of ham, 5 lbs of onions, and 10 lbs of canned goods then top off with water and let it heat the house as it simmers all day. The neighborhood dogs will be all sorts of friendly when I do my evening walk too.

18. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I wish I could call out. I have to work the range 5 to 9 pm Friday night.

19. lynx

lynx Member

Lordy! Are you feeding an army?

20. btseagle98

btseagle98 Member

I forgot about the upcoming weather so I, along with my four kids, stopped by Kroger to grab some stuff for dinner tonight.

After almost getting into an altercation in the parking lot over a space we went inside.

Oh dear holy god!!

Every register was back up halfway to the back of the store.

I took my three year old out of the shopping cart and loudly exclaimed to my kids "lets go...I'm not standing in these lines. Also kids, pay attention. This is what overreacting looks like!!"

I got a few nasty stares but twice as many laughs and chuckles from those around me.

Insanity!!!

Literally...every single line was backed up half way to the back of the store...even the self check lines.

Ridiculous!