Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some 9mm snap caps for training and I see amazon and ebay have several different brands.

Tipton seems to be the cheapest, but I wanted to know if anyone has used them? Are they any good, reliable, durable, etc.

Which others do you use? Recommend?

·
Registered
847 Posts
The only snap caps I've seen around are A-ZOOM. I got a set of 5 .40S&W for like $14. I've had them for about 2 years, and they've been fine.

Since they're made of aluminum, they show some scratching from being chambered/extracted...but they haven't deformed at all for me. The plastic primers are all intact as well and I've used them.....who knows...... for 1,000's of trigger pulls? I have no idea. But they're all in usable condition and I've been happy with them.

I'd say as long as they're actually made to the same dimensions of your caliber......don't have any sharp edges that'll wear on your gun's internals......and their plastic primer is intact....you're good to go. If they break.......they're a couple bucks a piece so it shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings too bad.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SaltySamurai said:
The only snap caps I've seen around are A-ZOOM. I got a set of 5 .40S&W for like $14. I've had them for about 2 years, and they've been fine.

Since they're made of aluminum, they show some scratching from being chambered/extracted...but they haven't deformed at all for me. The plastic primers are all intact as well and I've used them.....who knows...... for 1,000's of trigger pulls? I have no idea. But they're all in usable condition and I've been happy with them.

I'd say as long as they're actually made to the same dimensions of your caliber......don't have any sharp edges that'll wear on your gun's internals......and their plastic primer is intact....you're good to go. If they break.......they're a couple bucks a piece so it shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings too bad.
Thanks,

I saw those and will probably go with them. Sounds like they last.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I used A-ZOOM as well to break in my S&W J-frame. They've survived 5,000 trigger pulls so far, and still being used.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shamalama said:
I used A-ZOOM as well to break in my S&W J-frame. They've survived 5,000 trigger pulls so far, and still being used.
I ordered some off ebay about 10 minutes ago so they'll be here early next week. Now if the new range will just open up.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
budder said:
For those of you that are NRA Instructors, you can purchase AZoom snap caps directly from the manufacturer at a significant discount.
That's good to know!

·
Registered
66 Posts
When you get your snap caps go to grayguns.com and search on dry fire. They have some interesting drills.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
What is the purpose of snap caps? Why do you not just dry fire without snap caps?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Theyare supposed to cut down on wear and tear. I plan to get a set for my Model 10. It has the firing pin where it should be and i dont wanna damage it.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Taurus92 said:
I want to get some 9mm snap caps for training and I see amazon and ebay have several different brands.

Tipton seems to be the cheapest, but I wanted to know if anyone has used them? Are they any good, reliable, durable, etc.

Which others do you use? Recommend?
Don't think they will do much good in a Taurus 92.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
For malfunction drills, these might, work and they are cheaper, less than $1 each.
http://www.stactionpro.com/

I used these in a training class, where they were randomly inserted into your mags to simulate a problem. I don't think they are for dry firing though.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Lomcevak Duck said:
What is the purpose of snap caps? Why do you not just dry fire without snap caps?
So you have muscle memory for what to do when you get "click" instead of "bang" when you really really need "bang!"

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lomcevak Duck said:
I've heard dry fire can damage the firing pin.

I've yet to have a FTF (Fail to Feed or Fail to Fire), but I know the odds are even with proper cleaning and using good ammunition a malfunction can or will eventually happen. I want my recovery of that failure to be second nature and not panic in a pinch. Another benefit of mixing snap caps in with ammo at the range is exposing trigger pull problems where your aim is thrown off by pulling the trigger. Having a dead round should show the tip of the gun dropping or other movement affecting the aim where there should be no movement.

My expectations come from reading here on this site and some other places so if I've missed something please add it in.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
That is a very good reason to pick some up. I is always good to be the best prepared for any situation you will likely come across. If you ca n get some and they work in your gun then go for it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
According to the Glock and SIG and NRA Instructor classes I have taken; dry firing will not hurt a modern handgun. Older guns and imported guns have steel firing pins that are brittle and will break. Dry firing a rimfire is not a good idea since the firing pin strikes the edge and can also strike the edge of the chamber where the rim seats.
Snap caps have a spring behind the primer pad to absorb impact. Training dummy rounds don't have the spring to absorb the recoil. the ST action Pro are empty cases filled with polymer to simulate a real round. Brownells has some plastic dummy rounds thay are cheaper but don't last as long.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Scott 40s&w said:
According to the Glock and SIG and NRA Instructor classes I have taken; dry firing will not hurt a modern handgun. Older guns and imported guns have steel firing pins that are brittle and will break. Dry firing a rimfire is not a good idea since the firing pin strikes the edge and can also strike the edge of the chamber where the rim seats.
Snap caps have a spring behind the primer pad to absorb impact. Training dummy rounds don't have the spring to absorb the recoil. the ST action Pro are empty cases filled with polymer to simulate a real round. Brownells has some plastic dummy rounds thay are cheaper but don't last as long.
Some good information. I looked at the online pics for the ST action Pro rounds and it appeared to me the polymer where the primer should be is recessed and may not have any contact with the firing pin. I don't think my spent shells are indented that far in at the primer. Anyway this little snow dusting has delayed my snap caps. :x

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
Scott 40s&w said:
According to the Glock and SIG and NRA Instructor classes I have taken; dry firing will not hurt a modern handgun.
Depends on how often its done. If done periodically, no problem at all. Even when it's done to a modest extent, it shouldn't really cause any issues. However, when it's done hundreds a time a week, for example, in time, you can damage your pistol. A SIG Armorer instructor told us in one of my classes that they received a pistol back from an individual who'd dry-fired his pistol so much that the trigger and hammer pivot pins had oblonged the holes in the frame they sat in to the point that the pistol wouldn't consistently fire.

I've been told by factory reps that most striker fired type pistols shouldn't be bothered in the least by regular dry firing, but it doesn't hurt to use snap caps for dry fire training. For the investment of a few bucks to protect the pistol you use for personal defense, why not do so?

Older guns and imported guns have steel firing pins that are brittle and will break. Dry firing a rimfire is not a good idea since the firing pin strikes the edge and can also strike the edge of the chamber where the rim seats.
Snap caps have a spring behind the primer pad to absorb impact. Training dummy rounds don't have the spring to absorb the recoil.
:righton:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Lomcevak Duck said:
One pretty simple, but effective drill I see a lot on our range is for someone to randomly load snap caps in their magazines with the live rounds. Because you don't know which round is not going to fire, you just treat every trigger pull like a real shot and "un-learn" some of those bad muscle-memory habits that come from anticipating recoil.

Also, it is effective for practicing malfunction procedures during a timed multi-shot engagement. Think "bang, bang, click, finger off, slide rack, finger on, bang." (If that makes any sense.

Good training tools!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts