Snap caps

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Boy Racer, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Who's a quality manufacturer of snap caps?

I saw some yesterday, 6 for $15.00, don't remember who made them. Is that about market rate? The place I saw them (which shall remain nameless) is waaay over-priced on almost everything I saw in the store. So that's why I'm suspect.

Where's a good online-source of the aforementioned caps to browse/buy? I need some in 9mm and .357. Hopefully, after tonight's pick 3, I'll need some in .45 ACP, too! :D Thanks.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I do not use them, so I have never noticed the price. You can probably get them cheaper if you use Chinese slave labor.

3. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

I bought some Traditions brand snap caps from Bass Pro. They're not bad but the firing pin is beginning to leave dents on the brass plunger.
    Next time I think I'm going to try the A-Zoom brand caps. I think they have some sort of silicone insert instead of a spring and plunger. I have not seen or handled these personally, but I have heard good things about them.

Is that Road Atlanta in your avitar?

4. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Cool, that's the type of info I am looking for, thank you.

Yep, Road Atlanta just cross track from the #4 station, looking downstream, through the esses, toward T5.

5. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Cool.
    I'm still picking dirt out of my street bike after a "parking" incident at Little Talledega. :lol:

6. M249

M249 New Member

7. DKing

DKing New Member

Why do you want them? Some guns need them--e.g. Old Colt revolvers, shotguns, .22lr's. Most guns are fine without them.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I think some people do failure to fire drills at the range (put one in the magazine randomly). :shrugs:

9. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Exactly PTSmith. I did an internship with a LE agency at their academy when I lived in Bmore. At the range they would have someone else load your mag with both live rounds and snap caps. It was easy to see who was anticipating the gun firing when they got to the snap caps. They called the drill "slap, rack, bang" which I'm sure is pretty common. Slap the mag to ensure it is seated, rack the slide and fire off another round.

Very good training tool IMO.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Does sound like a good training tool. :righton:

11. DKing

DKing New Member

If your using them for drills I'd avoid plastic and look for brass ones. I've usually made my own dummy rounds. A semi-auto slamming home on a plastic nose wouldn't hold up for ever I'd imagine.

12. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

The ones I was around were the ones made by Pachmayr. They were well worn, but never seemed to have a problem.

I've never used any others, so I can't speak for anything else. Sounds like a good point though DKing.

13. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

That's what I use them for. Ironically, I just started doing failure drills with my Glock at the range. Five live, 1 dummy, first & last are live, everything in between is random. Ironically, the first time I did this, I experienced my first failure (ever) with my Glock... got a light strike on the primer... very chilling.

14. M249

M249 New Member

I have the A-Zoom snap caps. Solid stuff.

15. ntech

ntech Member

Would you be able to explain the need for snap caps with pistols or shotguns? Do you use them for storage?

16. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

We bought some for our shotgun to practice reloading and firing. I don't know if you need them or not, it just seemed like a good idea.

For rimfire guns if you don't havea snap cap or a shell in the chamber when pulling the trigger, the firing pin can hit the breech face. It doesn't do it on all rimfire guns, but it will happen on some of them.