Smith & Wesson M&P45C

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by luangtom, Sep 24, 2010.

1. luangtom

luangtom Active Member

Does anyone out there own and carry a Smith & Wesson M&P45 Compact? If so, how do you like it?

I am contemplating purchase of one and would like input and opinion before I go out and spend the money on one.

2. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Didn't own the compact, but I had the full size. I like the platform very much. The gun felt better in my hand than Glock. I'll probably pick up an M&P9c at some point myself.

3. Mr_Z

Mr_Z Member

I will second that. I have the full size and it has great ergonomics, and has never given me any trouble.

4. The Chili Pros

The Chili Pros New Member

I'm with Mr_Z,
    When I went to buy my 45, I tried to like the Glocks, I held a few of them, but after the M&P was handed to me. I quit looking after that. I did hold the compact and opted for the full size instead.
    Good luck

5. samurai

samurai New Member

After shooting my full size M&P 45, I sold my Glock 30 and bought a 45c. I alternate with the 9c as my carry gun. It is the only 45 my wife has shot and liked.

6. luangtom

luangtom Active Member

Thanks for the input. I am off to the Gun Show of the South at the Atlanta Expo Center to see if I can find a M&P45C to fondle.

This is a spur of the moment thing, as my son came home for the weekend and we decided to jump in the car and head South.....

7. Arkimedes

Arkimedes New Member

The M&P line is fantastic. I've shot the .45 and the .357 models and love them. Well made and reliable and IMO much better than a Glock.

8. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

i own a M&P45C. other than the trigger it seems to be a great weapon. i havent had a single failure yet.

9. luangtom

luangtom Active Member

What is wrong with the trigger?

10. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

i like the trigger on mine

11. cocsp2002

cocsp2002 New Member

Had a .40c and I can attest, the trigger sucks. Mega sucks. Long take up, notchy break, unnecessarily long reset (and vague reset), compact frame only made the experience worse. Lots of people like these guns, though, and it's obviously an opinion issue, but I feel like with the quality of firearms made today, an aftermarket trigger shouldn't be necessary, it should be an option available if you prefer something a little different.

Plus S&W has always been noted for exceptionally smooth revolver triggers, why can't they afford the same attention to an auto?

12. Ga_Regul8r

Ga_Regul8r Member

I didn't like the feel of the 45c in my hand, and my hands aren't big. I didn't like the way it felt against the heel of my palm. It didn't feel like a secure grip. This is why I went with the fullsize 45. From what I hear, you can get extended mags that make the grip closer to a fullsize, but I may be wrong. I don't have too much of a problem concealing it under a polo shirt.

Since this is my first DA semi-auto, I didn't know any difference between good or bad with the trigger. I later dry fired a M&P Pro and knew I wanted my trigger worked. I've since had the smith at Shooters here in Brunswick work it. Now I love the feel and know the difference between before and after. Take up and reset are half what they were. The reset is now about 3/16". Pull is not quite that of my Python in SA, but it feels like it's less that the M&P Pro. Well worth the money.

My :2cents: anyway. Let us know what you decide.

EDIT: I almost forgot... My M&P will eat anything you feed it. No FTF, FTE in the 500 rounds I've fed her.