Smith and Wesson Model K-200

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by parolebear, Oct 4, 2010.

1. parolebear

parolebear New Member

For Sale or maybe trade:

Smith and Wesson .38/200 British Service Revolver chambered in .38 S&W, is a pinned gun with 5 screws on a square butt K-Frame.

These guns were built for the British military and later for British commercial version (this is what this one seems to be). The gun has British proof marks on the frame, barrel and cylinder. It has factory diamond grips that are walnut and checkered. It does have a lanyard and serial number 7254xx, there is a "P" on the heel that appears to be a later mark. On the lower left above the trigger guard is a mark of: crossed swords with H 28. I have no idea as to what it means but maybe someone else can enlighten me. The barrel has the .767 tons proofmark. .38 3 1/2. BNP with crown proofmark in several places on the frame, cylinder and barrel. The gun locks up tighter than a brand new revolver and has good rifling. The finish has worn thin but from what I have read about the guns made during this period (1944) the process of Black Magic finishes did not hold up well. The barrel serial number matches the frame.

Now the bad about the gun. These guns were made in 4", 5" and 6" barrels. This one is a 4 1/16" barrel. It appears that someone cut the barrel and replaced the front sight. Now they did a great job, but it was done. The sight was removed and replaced after the barrel was cut I do not want anyone to think that I did not tell what I knew about the gun. I was told it is a fine shooter so the crown appears to be good. To the average person they would not notice the work.

Please PM or email with ANY questions about the gun. Asking $250 or best reasonable offer. I will get some pictures posted later or send me your email.

[img]http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/parolebear/brit003.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/parolebear/brit002.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/parolebear/brit001.jpg[/img]

2. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

unless the stocks number to the gun, my bet is that they are a replacement. Your revolver should have the shorter walnut plain stocks on it. Of course, never say never with Smith and Wesson.
    Remove the right stock panel and look on the frame side, there will be a number there, or should be. Does it match??
    there should also be a matching serial number on the cylinder (open the cylinder and it should be on the side facing the shooter) Does it match??
    A lot of them were cutdown and resold to the US. Parker Hale did a lot of the conversions, giving the Brit gun a ramped front sight.
    They are interesting pieces of history....

3. parolebear

parolebear New Member

The cylinder serial number matches and the right stock panel has the correct serial number on it. The confusing thing to me was the lanyard ring on a commercial gun. Then I thought that since it was a later war production then they might have put the commercial stocks on to sell as a commercial gun in post war England. It is still chambered in 38 S&W as when I found the barrel I thought maybe someone "Parker Hale" might have rechambered it but that does not appear to have been so. There are no import marks on the gun so it swam across pre'68 (I guess). Thanks for the comments.