Smith 60-15

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ber950, Jun 7, 2007.

1. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

2. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

3. ber950

ber950 Active Member

4. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Well I had a chance to shoot it on Sat. It has nice bite to go with its bark.
    A few of you shot it as well would love to hear your thoughts.
    Too much shooting to tell much about accuracy and the the screw holding the rear sight in place came loose. I put it back with a little blue loctite. That should hold it. That much money for a gun one should not have to do the home gunsmithing thing.

5. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Follow up report:

I made it to back to the range. Sight repair seems to be holding up. The first 5 or 10 rounds shot way right but after that they went more to the center. I think the rear sight may have shifted into place.

Full house .357's have a lower point of impact (POI) than 38+p or midrange .357's. I have seen this before. Early in the recoil cycle the muzzel can push down instead of up. The heavier the recoil the lower the point of impact.

This gun performs well with the .357 Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel load. The recoil is easier to manage and the POI is closer to the .38 +p's I carry as spares. My other small frame revolvers are 38 only so the spares are all 38.

Most of my reloads are carried in speed strips.
    http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=580
    Speedloaders are available for this model. I currently own a HKS speedloader. The speedloader work best for me with 38's instead of 357's. There is very little room between the rear of the speedloader and the front of the grips and that extra 1/10 of an inch makes a differance. Changing the grips and chamfering the charge holes (cylinders) should help fix this difficulty.

I finally found my J-frame Black Widow
    http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=5
    If you own the same model gun with different barrel lengths these can be real handy. Finding this means I now have a holster with level one retention making open carry an option. Albeit an unlikely one.

Because Georgia has so many places off limits and I can't carry at work, I prefer paddle holsters for every day carry. I plan to order a Kydex one from http://www.buybrownholsters.com. EDIT DON'T DEAL WITH THIS GUY
    Edit I was suprised today 9/26/08 this holster finally showed up. Still I won't deal with him any more.

This gun is much easier to shoot accurately than the 2" snub I currently carry as an every day gun. It also has the same controls, shoots the same ammo, has more stopping power, and adds very little weight. I am looking forward to carrying it when the weather cools off.

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Recived my free range bag yesterday. Its larger than I thought it would be. Very Nice :D

Holster is still on order. :( . Maybe it will be here before the weather cools off.

7. Sharky

Sharky New Member

very nice.

I good revolver is on my wishlist.

8. jculp

jculp New Member

model 60-15

i have one, nice rev. changed the grips, to wood hogue, i don't like rubber for carry, can drag on clothes. buy ammo, hot stuff, with good bullet to case crimp, to prevent movement of bullets in the other chambers. also painted top of front sight white to help in low light. very good choice for general purpose firearm. carry, home defense, hunting (if you shoot well) i love mine Sam

9. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I want a set of the wood hogue grips but they are not in the budget yet.

Still waiting on the holster. The only downside to non standard pistols and revolvers is finding the holster you want at a price you can afford. Custom holster work is expensive and they make it when they feel like it.

10. Rolan_Kraps

Rolan_Kraps New Member

Nice. I have two "J-frames". A model 37 that the wife carries, and a 640 that I slip into my pocket when I can't carry anything else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I finally got a chance to wear this gun all day in the Black Widow on Sat. Went to Yellow River Park and had a nice hike. Thanks GCO :D Nice fit but I really hate belt holsters for everyday carry. Too much trouble threading the belt and the gun has to go on and off too many times during the normal day. Have to find a somebody else to make a custom kydex paddle for it when I can budget for it.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

13. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I ordered one of these last Fri.

http://www.bearclawholsters.com/holsters/upacreek.aspx

He said the wait time is about two months.

Edit And as of Sept. 26 it still hasn't shown up yet. I am sensing a trend with custom holster makers. :roll:

At leas this guy has a phone and will respond to your emails I will let you know if it ever shows up.

Edit 11/28/08
    And now his web sight is down. I guess I will never get this holster. :x

14. Sharky

Sharky New Member

So looks like you got the green light that a firearm wont cause any heart related issues :wink: You know how those guns like to cause stress and scare people! :lol:

Nice holster. Let us know how it woks!

15. madcapmagician

madcapmagician New Member

Nice. I've always like the model 60's. Not too bad to shoot compared to the airweights. For me, I've always had problems with my model 60 sagging in pants so I have decided the Airweight is a little bit better for carrying..

16. ar-trvlr

ar-trvlr New Member

Nice gun. I've got the same model. I'm looking for a cheap set of wood hogue grips to match the ones I have on my 640. I've got mine as a modern 'kit gun' and for hiking and whatnot.

The full power loads are a handful, though.

17. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i somehow missed this thread last summer but that site "snubnose files" has good articles on both my snubbys. i have the model 36 I-frame and model 38 airweight both made in the 50's.

18. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Home for Thanksgiving. Dad just pulled out one of these he just bought NIB to show me. Nice.