Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there are more post around here too add this to but since breakfast is ready I'll do it this way.
I'm thinking the hack is already out for these things. Anyway something for the left to get excited about.
Seems reliable as well. If raining or wet you may need a smart phone to activate the weapon before you can shoot your attacker.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,743 Posts
Small problem. It's cold and raining in the alley. Cop yells-- Hold on crook, let me open my phone app so I can shoot you first.

NFW in my world.

It might make many more see the light and go back to wheelguns. I don't think there is any reasonable way to make those work in a revolver. Go get your new King Cobra!

Nemo

from link above

The fingerprint reader unlocks the gun in microseconds, but since it may not work when wet or in other adverse conditions, the PIN pad is there as a backup. LodeStar did not demonstrate the near-field communication signal, but it would act as a secondary backup, enabling the gun as quickly as users can open the app on their phones.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
A year ago I removed fingerprint recognition to open my telephone. It would take 2,3, and sometimes 4 times to get it to open. I would hate to go through that in a life or death situation.

On another note, does anyone know where I can find those heatseeking bullets like in the movies? You know, just aim in the general direction, pull the trigger, and they hit dead center every time. Even around corners.

Reactions: TimBob

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It might make many more see the light and go back to wheelguns.
Some of us are a victim of our own planning, preparation for bad things and a momentary lapse of reason. I look at my supply of stuff and realize the mistakes I made. Not a wheelgun to be found in the bunker. Much other stuff but no 1911's or such. Not a good time for many reasons to be correcting that. I do however have several vintage E-Tools that I know from past experience work very well in a close quarters encounter without any apps or plastic involved.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,743 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,743 Posts
Question? How readable-- distance, method, machine are those RFID chips. You are carrying and have your phone, readable by proper authorities? Walk by a box on the front of a building? A shoplifting prevention (sorry, inventory control) panel at a doorway? In a cop car driving through your neighborhood. A cell phone tower?

Makes me think about things.

Nemo

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question? How readable-- distance, method, machine are those RFID chips.
Could be inches or 100's of meters. Depends on the type chip in use. The below may help.

·
Registered
654 Posts
No.

Every time I come back from a camping trip, I have to "reset" my phone's fingerprint sensor (building and tending campfires for ten days does a number on fingerprints, apparently); until there's a Better Way, it's not tech I'm willing to bet my life on.

The problem with using a signal-based trigger (phone, or an implanted chip, or whatever) is that the bad guys just locally broadcast a 2.45 GHz "signal bomb" to jam Bluetooth/or a spectrum to block RFID, and now your phone/chip and gun can't connect.

DH

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
When will the police and the military be running their proof of concept trials? Asking for a friend who really could care less. :sleep:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts