Smart carry

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Sharky, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Okay summer is approaching and I need another kind of carry so if I decide to wear gym shorts or a tank top I dont need to worry about taking off my shirt or something like that.

Anybody own a smartcarry? Is this method allowed in GA. Sorry for asking something I should already know. I just always have used some sort of hip holster. And with GA laws I just wanted to double check!

Thanks

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

My suggestion is not to wear tank tops. :lol:

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

LMFAO!!!

Man I knew something like that was coming, but completely set myself up for it! And of course MP you never let me down! :lol:

Anyways, thoughts please on the smartcarry!!!

PDO users seem pretty happy with the rig. Just wanted to get y'alls thoughts on it!

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I have one. It works as well as advertised, for the most part. For deap concealment, or concealment with little clothing on, it can't be beat. I'd have to lose a few pounds (okay, more than a few) for it to be something from which I could draw quickly. Also, drawing while seated, especially in a car, is very difficult. Reholstering is pretty much impossible. But, as I said, if you want to carry and absolutely minimize the chance of detection by anyone but a VERY close friend, it fills the bill.

5. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Thanks jrm!!!

6. jim8377

jim8377 New Member

:lol:
    It hangs too close to Big Ed and and the twins.

7. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I am using a smart carry rig here in Florida. Excellent choice for deep concealment and I am able to sneak by the theme park bag checkers. :shock:

8. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Smart Carry comes in different sizes, but it can be used to carry any handgun of "normal" size, includign a 1911.

9. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I have used mine for a couple of months. I would say in extreme heat it cant be beat for the application it serves. However if the heat isnt that bad, a loose t shirt with my fist IWB holster is my preference. But like mentioned I really like the smart carry for days like we have been having here in GA and I want to make sure I am conceled.

10. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

Florida has been brutal with the heat and humidity the past week and I have to make sure I stay concealed down here. That is the only part about FL law that I don't like is the no open carry. Not that I would in the the parks, I just like having that flexibility of wearing what I want and not worrying about breaking the law whenever my shirt flies up or my pants fall down :oops:

But who am I to nit pick? FL carry laws totally blow GA away. If Disney World had been in GA I would have violated the Public Gathering law 22 times and the attempted hijacking law, which is a felony, 17 times. Oh and carrying a deadly weapon in a transportation terminal atleast that twice that many times. But alas none of this matters in FL as it is legal to carry to most events the public gathers for, resturants that serve alcohol, transportation terminals, and public transportation. The only thing I had to worry about is not letting myself end up in a bar after a parched day. :drink:

11. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I hear ya! I used to live in Florida and family is still there. If GA can get with the program and like FL things will be great.

I do like my smart carry and lately going to the malls, and such I have been using it this month. Been brutal here in GA as well.

Stay cool!

12. jccls

jccls New Member

I hope no one has already asked this question elsewhere:

What is the difference between the Thunderwear and the Smartcarry? I've heard lots of good comments about Smartcarry, but none about Thunderwear, so I'm thinking I'll go with the former. Still, I was hoping someone knew some reason to choose one over the other.

Thanks!

JS

13. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I was told conflicting stories of which carrier was around first and who copied who. Basically same product. But I still like mine for the really hot months up here in hotlanta.

14. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

i have been looking into the smart carry i will be getting a kahr .40 how does it fit with jeans....now i don't wear huge baggy jeans but more like boot cut....it seems as it would be really tight around the manhood area.....also im wanting to get a good IWB holster as well where should i look for one...i would like to try it on before i buy.

15. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

The gun store here in athens was fine with me bringing my unloaded gun in and trying several holsters. I got a mike's sidekick IWB(i have a G19) and it is great for me and I love the material it is made out of. Actually buying a holster is harder than buying a purse and I think I will end up with several for different applications/clothing. I think IWB is easier for girls than guys since as long as we wear a loose shirt we won't print as much.

I too was wondering about the smart carry and ladies boot cut jeans since they are tighter than mens jeans. I have seen the picture of the girl on the smart carry website but think my g19 might still be a bit big for it. I think your kahr would fit well.

Now if my GFL would ever come in the mail I could try out some of the holsters in actual use :roll:

16. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Ohh it would be nice to just open carry everywhere........

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

What's stopping you?

18. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

starting now....before i really didnt want to have to deal with the hassel if i was stopped or if someone called the LEO but i realized why accommodate myself to others when i can legally carry open if i please. i will still cary IWB some but i will definitly be open carrying a lot more.

the smart carry seems like it would be good thing to have if you wanted to conceal cary and you need to have you shirt tucked in, for say slacks and a dress shirt.