Small 9mm ideas **Updated**

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I need sugestions on a small 9mm. I'm trying to consolidate calibers and am thinking about replacing the Walther PPK/S that is my daily carry.

I am not a fan of Kel-Tecs, and don't want a Glock, XD or M&P. I want a 9mm that's the same size as my PPK/S. I want to stay under $500 if possible.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Adam

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

If you are willing to go used, you can get a Grade C P7 for about $500. All the cool kids are doing it!

3. GunNut

GunNut New Member

There is always Kahr.

Walther has the new PPS coming along soon, it will probably be over $500 though.

4. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

5. budder

It is, and one has failed one of our very own (tace). If you want to stick with Walther, the P99 is probably the better choice, though it is way bigger.

Oh, and get the RAMI so I can shoot it. It's 14+1! 14!

6. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

7. GunNut

GunNut New Member

That was a "First Edition" model. I would wait for the actual release version of the PPS.

There is also Taurus, they have several different small 9mm auto's.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My 1911, M&P, XD, and Hi-Point Carbine are all 9mm. I'm tryng to eliminate another caliber if I can. The problem is that I like my PPK/S, so I'm a litle hesitant to replace it. For now I'm just getting some ideas about what's out there. I'm also considering a Taurus 9mm snubbie.

9. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

Oh... I forgot to mention you can probably find the RAMI for less than $450 at most decent gun stores.

It has very high reviews.

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

11. budder

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I know that I said no Kel-Tecs, but has anyone here handled the PF-9 yet?

This woul dbe so much easier if S&W made a subcompact M&P9.

13. tace

tace New Member

IIRC, S&W does make a subcompact M&P9 that is slightly longer than the XD Sc.

Handled the PF-9, compared to the shooting ability of PPS it is very disappointing. It is one of those small guns that want to jump out of your hand, like at least one Kahr, I shot.

14. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Where did you get to shoot a PPS, how much was it?

The PF-9's recoil doesn't bother me all that much. It's worse than a P-3AT but not as bad as a magnum snubbie (SP101 anyway).

15. tace

tace New Member

16. shamalama

shamalama New Member

I carry a PF-9 everyday in my front pants pocket. She's got around 400 rounds through her with no problems other than she doesn't like eating range reloads.

Since I work at a heavily controlled area under corporate, local, and federal restrictions, in order for me to carry anything the gun's DEEP cover ability was far more critical to me than firepower or magazine size. And since I already had a Kel-Tec P-3AT (.380) and had no problems with the little thing, I had no problems getting the larger PF-9. She may not be everything I want in a handgun, but the other option was not to carry anything. After I win the Lottery and can work from home I'll carry something altogether different ... like a Kimber 1911 on my strong outside hip.

I *would* love to own a Kahr PM-9, but I don't have $850 lying around without consulting with a divorce attorney first. Same with the Para Ordinance Lite Hawg 9. And a new Jaguar XK would be great too.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

How much difference in pocket carry between the two?

18. tace

tace New Member

My observation was that the difference between the two means normal pants pocket carry vs cargo shorts/pants pocket carry.

19. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

Kahr MK9

or

CZ RAMI

There were/are a few used MK9's over at Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, good condition too. I think in the $450-500 range. They also had a RAMI last time i was in there.