Slight SNAFU at the Range

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by Timmy, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Timmy

Timmy Member

Went to the Range with a friend this afternoon and brought my Springfield 1911A1 45 pistol. After shooting for awhile I went to reload the 45 and started with putting one in the chamber that I was going to follow with 7 in the mag. Well, after putting one in the chamber I went to reset the hammer before slapping the mag up and, sure enough, the hammer slipped as I was letting it down and the round went off. The gun was of course down range but the round ended up hitting the floor about 3 feet in front of my friend and I. So, after the smell cleared from the slight mess in my shorts :wink: and me recovering from feeling like an a$$, I went ahead and continued shooting. The gun is fairly new even though it's more than 20 years old it's had less than 500 rounds put through it. Will definitely have to be more careful with this weapon in the future.

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt.

In the future I would reccomend not manipulating the hammer manually when you have a loaded chamber. If you want 7+1, I would suggest loading your mag, chambering a round, eject the mag and replace the round that you chambered, then reinsert the mag. Remember to keep your fingers away from the trigger when ejecting and re inserting the mag.

3. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I'm glad to hear no one was hurt as well.

4. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Traditional 1911's are not designed to be loaded with the hammer down. I am just glad no one was hurt.

5. Timmy

Timmy Member

Yeah, I bet you are :D

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

It sounds to me like we know who you were shooting with.

7. Timmy

Timmy Member

Exactly, Thanks.

Sounds like a fellow Paratrooper.

8. Timmy

Timmy Member

Yeah. I was really just still a little shaky from shooting Gunnuts 50 cal. :shock:

9. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Its only a 50 AE, not a real 50....

10. Timmy

Timmy Member

What I really enjoyed was the look on the kids faces next to us when pulled it out.

11. Timmy

Timmy Member

The gun that is :wink:

12. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Take a spare magazine to use as a loader, insert the loader into the magazine well, run the slide, manual safety on, remove the loader and put it in the off side pocket, load full magazine and shoot as required and/or needed.

13. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Yeah, made their .22 seem kind of wimpy....however, their dads 7mm rem mag was fairly impressive.

14. Timmy

Timmy Member

Yep. The concussion alone was impressive.

15. Timmy

Timmy Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the the manual safety on a 1911 prevents the slide from being cycled.

16. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

That's how my similarly-designed CZ works. I assume the 1911 is the same way, as well.

17. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Yes, after a round was chambered, you could have put the safety on while inserting the magazine...instead of dropping the hammer.

Don't really need the safety on before a round is chambered. :)

18. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I just double checked and mine does.

19. Timmy

Timmy Member

Ok. My mistake.

20. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Guess I should have went and looked at one of mine.. :) I don't typically cycle mine with the safety on they are mostly range toys.