Slide-Glide "installed"

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by mzmtg, May 10, 2007.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Seems like it would be a dirt magnet.

3. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I was thinking the same thing, not to mention it gums up. Oil you can wipe off, how do you wipe this off easily?

4. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

5. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Hmmm!!!

MZ,
    The real question that he doesn't seem to address is; when cleaning your gun, do the chemicals from the cleaning fluid remove it and do you have to re-goo it after every cleaning? I am an old timer because to me I use hoppes #9 and nothing else, never have and never will. I would like to check it out on your gun sometime. I have stopped by tour house a couple of times but you weren't home.
    My :2cents:

6. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Re: Hmmm!!!

Yeah, it's grease. The brake cleaner I clean with will definitely remove it. That's the idea behind cleaning, right? :)

I use a foaming bore cleaner to get lead and copper out of the bore. When that's done soaking, the bore gets cleaned out with #9 or CLP. The rest of the gun gets blasted with brake cleaner, then compressed air to dry. Then I use a few drops of oil where needed. And now Slide Glide on the sliding parts of the top end. I find #9 to be way too thin to use as lube. It dries out way too quickly.

Once or twice a year, I'll detail strip it down to a pile of bits and scrub everything.

I should be home all evening tonight and most of the day tomorrow.

7. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

After a quick range session, I like the stuff. The action is definitely smoother and the gun is easier to shoot.

No complaints.

I also learned that my USP will happily chamber an empty casing...backwards... :oops:

8. b8fish

b8fish New Member

I've used Slide-Glide on my competition STI for several years - it definitely made it feel smoother cycling. I put about 500 rds a month through it during competitions (IPSC, Steel challenge) and it lasts fine without gunking up. I strip the top end every 1000 rnds or so (when I start a new case of ammo) and re-apply the Slide-Glide.

9. pyromaster

pyromaster New Member

I actually just got some for my P226 2 weeks ago and used it at the range the last two weeks. So far no issues and I like it.