Seems like it would be a dirt magnet.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rammstein said:
Will Slide-Glide attract dust or dirt?
That's a common question, and one I can answer from a layman's perspective.

I prefer shooting guns to cleaning them. When training (Shooting Bio), I would shoot 3000+ rounds (often 5000+) between cleanings, and never observed any excess wear in the top end. In fact, once a new gun "settles in," it does not seem to wear any more at all.

When I first started testing the Glide, I wondered about the "dust factor." But after shooting tens of thousands of rounds through the same pistols lubed with the Glide - in the dusty Arizona desert - and not detecting hardly any wear at all - I stopped worrying about it.

Here's my layman's theory: The key word is "insulates." The Glide insulates everything it touches - including dust or dirt. So if there are any dirt particles in the grease, the Glide insulates them from contacting the gun. I'm not an engineer, so I know that's not very scientific. It's just my theory based on what I have observed over a long period of time.

From the Hodgdon Powder Company: Most unburned powder residues that may become visible in the grease are actually lubricating in nature (graphite), and will not adversely affect the performance of the grease. (I was sponsored by Hodgdon for several years during my professional career.)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hmmm!!!

mzmtg said:
Rammstein said:
Will Slide-Glide attract dust or dirt?
That's a common question, and one I can answer from a layman's perspective.

I prefer shooting guns to cleaning them. When training (Shooting Bio), I would shoot 3000+ rounds (often 5000+) between cleanings, and never observed any excess wear in the top end. In fact, once a new gun "settles in," it does not seem to wear any more at all.

When I first started testing the Glide, I wondered about the "dust factor." But after shooting tens of thousands of rounds through the same pistols lubed with the Glide - in the dusty Arizona desert - and not detecting hardly any wear at all - I stopped worrying about it.

Here's my layman's theory: The key word is "insulates." The Glide insulates everything it touches - including dust or dirt. So if there are any dirt particles in the grease, the Glide insulates them from contacting the gun. I'm not an engineer, so I know that's not very scientific. It's just my theory based on what I have observed over a long period of time.

From the Hodgdon Powder Company: Most unburned powder residues that may become visible in the grease are actually lubricating in nature (graphite), and will not adversely affect the performance of the grease. (I was sponsored by Hodgdon for several years during my professional career.)
MZ,
The real question that he doesn't seem to address is; when cleaning your gun, do the chemicals from the cleaning fluid remove it and do you have to re-goo it after every cleaning? I am an old timer because to me I use hoppes #9 and nothing else, never have and never will. I would like to check it out on your gun sometime. I have stopped by tour house a couple of times but you weren't home.
My :2cents:

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Hmmm!!!

tj2000 said:
MZ,
The real question that he doesn't seem to address is; when cleaning your gun, do the chemicals from the cleaning fluid remove it and do you have to re-goo it after every cleaning? I am an old timer because to me I use hoppes #9 and nothing else, never have and never will. I would like to check it out on your gun sometime. I have stopped by tour house a couple of times but you weren't home.
My :2cents:
Yeah, it's grease. The brake cleaner I clean with will definitely remove it. That's the idea behind cleaning, right? :)

I use a foaming bore cleaner to get lead and copper out of the bore. When that's done soaking, the bore gets cleaned out with #9 or CLP. The rest of the gun gets blasted with brake cleaner, then compressed air to dry. Then I use a few drops of oil where needed. And now Slide Glide on the sliding parts of the top end. I find #9 to be way too thin to use as lube. It dries out way too quickly.

Once or twice a year, I'll detail strip it down to a pile of bits and scrub everything.

I should be home all evening tonight and most of the day tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a quick range session, I like the stuff. The action is definitely smoother and the gun is easier to shoot.

No complaints.

I also learned that my USP will happily chamber an empty casing...backwards... :oops:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've used Slide-Glide on my competition STI for several years - it definitely made it feel smoother cycling. I put about 500 rds a month through it during competitions (IPSC, Steel challenge) and it lasts fine without gunking up. I strip the top end every 1000 rnds or so (when I start a new case of ammo) and re-apply the Slide-Glide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts