Slide finish suggestions

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have a Polish P83 Radom that has some finish issues on the slide. These pistols were never known for having a great finish and I think some one may have given it a black paint job at some point.

The finish that on it is wearing through and when cleaning black paint gets on your hands. I was thinking of stripping and rattle canning it, but am not sure if I can disassemble it and get back together again. The pistol isn't really worth having a smith Duracoat it.

Any suggestions for a cheap DIY slide finish?

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Raw

Sandblast all the finish off and polish it to look like stainless steel. Then slather it in bacon grease and carry it proudly. It won't rust and you'll always smell like breakfast . Plus you'll probably be accompanied by one or more dogs wherever you go. Dogs are very good security.

3. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Good dog and you probably can leave the Radom at home.

Nemo

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

LOL

I did think about removing the finish and polishing it.

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Bead blast it and DIY cerakote it. I understand you can do so with a cheap spray gun and an oven at home. Be bold.

6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

If Cerakote is basic powder coating do that. Or go to Harbor Freight and spend $6 or so and get theirs. Fair warning, make sure you do not do it the oven in the kitchen.

Nemo