Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I got a really good deal on a SKS type M with a sporter Tapco folding stock. With a 40 round mag. Well upon cleaning it and then shooting it. I find out the mag is catching the last round on the rim. Therefor jamming it. Nothing is wrong with the rifle. It cycles like a dream. Just that one last round. Any tips on fixing the mag? Or should I just buy a new mag? Thanks in advance. Shaun

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OHHH, I did some research and it turns out this is a common problem with the mags. It shoots 7.62x39.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
sks 40 rounders are junk. Either find a 30 rounder, or put the original 10 rounder back in, and get proficient with stripper clips.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohhhhh Thank you very much, would you happen to know how much the 30 round would run? I really want Hi-cap

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts

The -M model takes the same magazines as standard AK's, correct? If so, then magazines should run between $10 and $20 apiece depending on condition and vendor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I'm kinda new to guns, but here is the mag. I really thank you guys for helping me with my first firearm.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
Ahhh, standard SKS with "duckbill" magazine. Definitely take the 'biker's advice and dump the 40-. There seem to be Very few extended duckbill magazines that work reliably. The closer you stay to standard, the better.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
The duckbill mags are a pain in the butt. I can load out a regular 10 rounder with strippers, much faster\
than I can change a detachable mag.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would a 10 or 20 round detachable suffice? Or maybe the 30?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here she is, not a bad choice for first firearm?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
The sks is a great platform IMHO. The hi-cap mags will work, but stick with one
30rds or under.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a bunch man. This really means a lot to me. I will probably hit the gun shop up today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more question, I read online that these tend to fire better a bit dirty. Like after 100 rounds or so? Is this true?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, okay. So just go buy a 30 round mag and call it gravy?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay. I got bored and took a file to the mag. It cycles pretty good now. But I am still gonna buy a 30 round.

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
With a composite stock you can try Tapco 20 round mags. IMO they are the best aftermarket mags for an SKS. I've got 8 of them and they work great. The 30 rounders work but not nearly as well as the Tapco 20's do. JMHO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts