Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a little research on the net and reading some of the old topics and opinions here at GPDO, but I haven't found my answers yet.
So, with all the folks that have SKS rifles, which are the better models, overall ? Do you really need a chrome lined barrel ? I really don't care for the bayonet, can that attachment go away and look like it was never there ? I do plan on putting it in a tapco stock. I don't plan on long yardage shots, or a rambo assault rifle. I've seen all the after market pieces you can get and do want it to be 922 r compliant.
I do want a "fairly" accurate and reliable rifle when it's all said and done though.
Are there any places around the Atlanta or surrounding areas to get an sks in real good shape, at a reasonable price, (I like to touch stuff before I buy it) ?
Also, what should I be on the look out for, as far as pros and cons of all the different types of SKS's
I would like to just shoot the rifle to have a little fun, I understand it's functions and uses, I'm just not familiar with all the different variants of the rifle.
Thanks,

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,312 Posts
All I can say is that I've shot several of them, including an early 1950s Russian one that was imported in the early 1990s, and my own Norinco sporterized model from the mid-1990s.
They are both more accurate than any AK-47 I've ever used, but not as accurate as an AR-15 or M1 Garand or M1A.
I have a spare receiver cover with a built-in scope mount, but I've never actually scoped my SKS and tested it.
If you want to meet me at a range sometime and test-fire mine with and without the scope, PM me.

The trigger pull is nice, once you get used to it. Long stroke, but not heavy. Pretty smooth, too.

Ammo may make a difference when it comes to accuracy. I've never used anything but cheap Wolf and mil-surp commie ammo, but I've heard that with handloads or quality commercial ammo you can shrink your groups in half.

I tried some aftermarket parts on my SKS, but soon returned it to original configuration. I don't want to try to make it into a close-quarters battle rifle. The AK is better at that. For less intense shooting and at longer ranges ( beyond 50 yards, out to 200 yards) the SKS is better than the AK and is a fine rifle even in the plain wooden stock with the 10-round internal mag.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gunsmoker said:
All I can say is that I've shot several of them, including an early 1950s Russian one that was imported in the early 1990s, and my own Norinco sporterized model from the mid-1990s.
They are both more accurate than any AK-47 I've ever used, but not as accurate as an AR-15 or M1 Garand or M1A.
I have a spare receiver cover with a built-in scope mount, but I've never actually scoped my SKS and tested it.
If you want to meet me at a range sometime and test-fire mine with and without the scope, PM me.

The trigger pull is nice, once you get used to it. Long stroke, but not heavy. Pretty smooth, too.

Ammo may make a difference when it comes to accuracy. I've never used anything but cheap Wolf and mil-surp commie ammo, but I've heard that with handloads or quality commercial ammo you can shrink your groups in half.

I tried some aftermarket parts on my SKS, but soon returned it to original configuration. I don't want to try to make it into a close-quarters battle rifle. The AK is better at that. For less intense shooting and at longer ranges ( beyond 50 yards, out to 200 yards) the SKS is better than the AK and is a fine rifle even in the plain wooden stock with the 10-round internal mag.
Thank you, that is what I'm looking for,,,,,,,,,, good honest opinion, Please keep them coming.
Let me add, I don't care about the AK or the AR. I'm purely interested in the SkS !
Let me know your thoughts, please !

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got a Yugo SKS a while back, love shooting it.

Got all the tapco stuff for it but ended up putting it back in it's original configuration. Switched it because I wanted to put a scope or red dot on it, put it back because I enjoy it more in it's military configuration. Shot great either way, easily blew away setup clays with iron sights at 100 yards.

Yugo's are the most common right now I believe, followed by the Chinese/Norinco.

On the bayonet, just have to take the screw out and all that's left is the bayonet lug. Now with the Chinese, most if not all have had their bayonets removed and the lug filed down.

Now since I put mine back to its military configuration, I have my Tapco stock and compliance parts, if you're interested shoot me a pm.

Edit: Found a picture of it when I had it all dressed up.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I have a Yugo, and I love it. I got it a few years ago, cheap because it didn't shoot well. Turned out the gas valve was rusty, and it would only shoot in single shot mode (as opposed to the semi auto mode). A new gas block was fitted to it along with 922 compliance parts and a Tapco stock. This made it very front heavy so I removed the bayonet.

Eventually I put it back to it's stock configuration, but kept the Tapco 20 round mag instead of the original 10 round mag. The original mag and the Tapco mags are the only ones I would recommend for the SKS.

It shoots well and is reliable. I have used tech sights and a scout mount (with red dot) on it, but ended up going back to the basic iron sites as these were the only sights I've ever been able to keep zero with.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Romanian model that is fairly accurate. If I do my part I can make hits on the 9" swinger our range has set up at 300 yards. Still in original configuration. I have tried a scope mount on mine and could never get a good cheek weld with it. The only modification I have thought about was a 20 round Chinese factory mag. But have not found one for the right price.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the shortest barrel you are allowed to have here in Ga. on an SKS ?
And, does a pin on muzzle brake add to the length, legally ?
I'm looking at a Norinco Paratrooper and I want to be sure before I plunk down cash for something I can't own.
Thanks,

Ok, found legal barrel length by searching again, gessshh,,,
It's 16" for a rifle. That 18" kept popping into my head, but that's for shotguns.
So I'm good to go.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
If you're buying a Yugo you need to check it out really really well. Many of the "war" rifles were shot with corrosive ammo and not cleaned, giving you a corroded out gas system and a barrel that looks like a sewar pipe on the surface of the moon.

Ask me how I know :x

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jabara572 said:
If you're buying a Yugo you need to check it out really really well. Many of the "war" rifles were shot with corrosive ammo and not cleaned, giving you a corroded out gas system and a barrel that looks like a sewar pipe on the surface of the moon.

Ask me how I know :x
Well, so far I've bought two. The first one was a Chinese SKS for my son and the second was a Norinco Paratrooper for me. The 16 1/2" barrel on the Paratrooper threw me off, till I regained my senses, LOL.
I have a special little project in mind for it and was just trying to be sure before I started. The first thing I did with both of them was to completely tear them down, clean and inspect for proper function and safety. Now the fun begins. I've already ordered a few replacement parts, due to wear an tear on the originals. I'll post some pics when I get it done.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
I have the Chinese one from the 90s. I love that one. Good price for a good gun.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have a Chinese Norinco and a 1954 Russian. Both were imported in the mid 90's and brand new. I like the stain of the wood better on the Russian, but both weapons function identically. Both are reliable and accurate out to the limits of my shooting range (150 yards).

I have both of them in their stock configuration right now with one minor exception, but in the past I played with a few after market parts. I put a larger clip on the Norinco a few times and never could get it to feed reliably, so I went back to the factory 10 round clip. I swapped out the receiver covers for tapped scope mount covers, but I was not happy with the scope because the empty hulls being ejected would sometimes bounce off the scope and back into the chamber causing a jam, so I returned both weapons to stock. I also had a flash hider on the Norinco, but I like it better with a bayonet.

The only change that stuck around is a 2" stock extension on my Norinco. I am a big guy and the stocks are just a hair short for comfortable range time, but not so short that they are impossible to shoot. The Russian does not have a stock extension on it because my wife likes it better that length, and if you are thinking of a home defense weapon you will probably like it better in the standard length for easier maneuverability.

I have not tried an after market stock because I like the shape and weight of the factory stock.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lomcevak Duck said:
I have a Chinese Norinco and a 1954 Russian. Both were imported in the mid 90's and brand new. I like the stain of the wood better on the Russian, but both weapons function identically. Both are reliable and accurate out to the limits of my shooting range (150 yards).

I have both of them in their stock configuration right now with one minor exception, but in the past I played with a few after market parts. I put a larger clip on the Norinco a few times and never could get it to feed reliably, so I went back to the factory 10 round clip. I swapped out the receiver covers for tapped scope mount covers, but I was not happy with the scope because the empty hulls being ejected would sometimes bounce off the scope and back into the chamber causing a jam, so I returned both weapons to stock. I also had a flash hider on the Norinco, but I like it better with a bayonet.

The only change that stuck around is a 2" stock extension on my Norinco. I am a big guy and the stocks are just a hair short for comfortable range time, but not so short that they are impossible to shoot. The Russian does not have a stock extension on it because my wife likes it better that length, and if you are thinking of a home defense weapon you will probably like it better in the standard length for easier maneuverability.
I have not tried an after market stock because I like the shape and weight of the factory stock.
I've got other weapons for home defense, although this could be one of them eventually. My plan is to make a close quarters weapon out of this little carbine. So I'll try one of the Tapco collapsible stocks and see how it works out. They'll be no optics, just iron sights, maybe a light on the bottom rail with a pressure switch. Had toyed with the idea of a laser too, but not sure about that just yet.
I understand what the intended uses are for these old battle rifles and I'm not going to try and make it do anything special. I'm just going to tailor it a little bit to me. I think it'll be just fine for my intended purposes, we'll see.
It is a Norinco, imported by KSI Pomona, Cal. The arsenal is [0136], which there is no info on, due to that time frame and arsenal. All #s match and it's in pretty decent shape. I payed 250.00 for it and I don't think that's too bad of a price, considering what it is.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Look out- the SKS is addictive. If you aren't careful you'll find yourself buying bulk lots of wolf ammunition and taking this thing out to shoot it while leaving more expensive weapons at the house. The SKS -no matter which variant- is a fast working drug. You'll want another one, and another version, and start thinking of reasons you need more than one (one for the woman, the kids, a few spares...) and then you'll start grinning like a fool and slinking through the bushes outside your house and wearing a funny looking hat from the orient.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Personally, the SKS is good for what it is but you may as well just go ahead and get an AK. To me the cool factor is higher on the AK and the AK is more deadly/practical/reliable. And for the record I have both so I'm not bashing.
I agree the cool factor is there with the AK. I would love to have one.

What do you mean by "the AK is more deadly/practical/reliable?"

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Since they use the same rounds unlikely to be more deadly. Then again if you didn't hit them in the first ten rounds maybe you will in the next 20.

Practical? Perhaps the availability of magazines?

Well no gun is more reliable than an AK.

If you compare the AK to an AR, then there is no contest, all of those things are true.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, but for the money invested so far, and for what I want it to do for me, the SKS wins it.
As far as any tacticool factor, that's not me. This is strictly for $hitz an giggles ;)

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Minority opinion, but my off-hand abilities appear much stronger when using bone stock 59/66 over AK platform gun. I don't know if its the weight or length or what. The trigger on 59/66 is sweeter than the G2 kit on my AK too. I wouldn't feel inadequately armed with one plus a half dozen stripper clips in any realistic defense scenario that I'd face. Also, I think the wood stock and bayonet is very appealing when in good shape.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts