Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently obtained a paratrooper model Sks and noticed a bar on the left side below the cover. Does anyone know what that is? I attached a picture. Thanks!

Attachments

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
Not even a clue, that's the first I've ever seen anything like that on any SKS I've ever examined. (Not that I've have years and years of SKS examining experience.)

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Maybe some sort of removable scope mount?

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

Where can I get a scope mount for the scope rail on my SKS Carbine?

There are a number of differing styles of scope rail used on SKS Carbines. Here are what appear to be the three most common:

1. The so-called “Cowboy Companion†scope mount fits a variety of Chinese variants. (Click here for a close up of the rail.) Some SKS books also call it a “Type 89 telescopic sight†or “BZM-1â€. The mount has integral rings for a 1†scope, with the tube is positioned about ¾†above the receiver cover. This mount is riveted near the rear of the receiver. Intentions were probably to install these rails on all their commercial firearms. However, when importation of firearms from China ceased, availability dried up. Thus, there are many more scope rails then there are mounts.
It appears you have "Part A" of the mount but are lacking "Part B"

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a couple more questions to anyone knowing about the sks. I want to bring it back to its original state. The barrel is threaded into the receiver. Will it fit any stock I buy or does it need a threaded stock specifically? Also it was set up for duck bill magazines. Can I buy a 10 round fixed magazine and pop it in or would I need to swap any other parts? Thanks

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,240 Posts
The 25-round (or 30?) "duck bill" magazines only require that the fixed 10-round factory mag be removed. So if you find another one of those standard factory military-spec 10-round mags, it should be easy to reinstall (you'll have to remove the action from the stock.)

If you don't mind the "duck bill" design but just wanted a SHORTER magazine that is handier to carry, try the 20-round polymer magazines from TAPCO.
They have a good reputation.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1116427053/tapco-magazine-sks-762x39mm-20-round-polymer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts