·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/11/23 ... ry-island/

SKorea: NKorea fires artillery onto island

Published November 23, 2010

| Associated Press

SEOUL, South Korea â€" North Korea shot dozens of rounds of artillery onto a populated South Korean island near their disputed western border Tuesday, military officials said, setting buildings on fire and prompting South Korea to return fire and scramble fighter jets...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Getting close to
time with North Korea. Their population is starving and on the verge of revolt, so I guess it's time to start a 'patriotic' war with the South.

The real question is whether or not China is going to beat them back into line - again - or let us get sucked into another hot conflict far away from home. Sixty years of dealing with North Korea has proved Douglas MacArthur right - there is no substitute for victory.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
:shock: Not good for anyone... can't be good for America.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Teeter said:
Getting close to
time with North Korea. Their population is starving and on the verge of revolt, so I guess it's time to start a 'patriotic' war with the South.

The real question is whether or not China is going to beat them back into line - again - or let us get sucked into another hot conflict far away from home. Sixty years of dealing with North Korea has proved Douglas MacArthur right - there is no substitute for victory.
:goodpost:

I'm wondering the same thing. The Chinese need to put their pet on a leach before some one does something that can't be taken back. I'm sure the only reason that the fighter jet of the south hasn't gone airborn is because D.C. is "urging restraint." :roll: Has the north launched an attack of this magnitude in recent memory, as in the last twenty years? Usually they saber rattle. This is a clear act of provocation.

Know what else bugs me about the Chinese government? They want all the trappings and none of the responsibility of being a major power. Their silence shows their belligerence toward the world as much as the shelling itself by the north Koreans.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Simple answer Moga. China benefits from a destabilized region. Not taking any responsibility for yanking on NK's leash means everyone is still guessing - no need to claim you can exert power if you don't really want to.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Watch Russia....

·
Uninvited Guest
599 Posts
moga said:
... Has the north launched an attack of this magnitude in recent memory, as in the last twenty years?...
The last "skirmish" was in November 2009. That battle left one North Korean officer dead and three others wounded, according to South Korean officials.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,312 Posts
The U.N. needs to authorize an invasion of North Korea to take out their nuclear facilities and hang the dictator for murder and making aggressive war by numerous terrorist attacks and military strikes against South Korea and Japan.

North Korea is too crazy to be trusted with nuclear weapons. Screw their right to "self defense." They aren't interested in defense. They're the aggressor.

Didn't the N. Korean navy just torpedo and sink a S. Korean military ship?

For that the U.N. ought to take away all their subs. Let them have a navy, but with surface ships only. Harder to misuse surface ships for black ops and smuggling, assasination squads, etc.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,312 Posts
Hold on: Some other website (last updated 2 p.m. today) says that South Korea admits that its side fired the first round of shells.

WTH? Well damn, pal, if you don't want your neighbor to shoot at you, don't shoot at him.
And if he does shoot back at you, don't come whining to us about it. You'll learn not to kick the hornet's nest.

P.S. I wonder if this is true, and if so, I wonder if S. Korea was provoked into shooting first? It's hard for me to imagine what kind of provocation would be enough for that.

·
Registered
500 Posts
S. Korea claims it was an exercise, training etc. I say give them both really short range nukes and stand back and watch the show. It would never work, but it would be fun to watch. Their are several other places around the world where I think this would be fitting. If we could just get the fallout to stay in one place. Sigh.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,851 Posts
We should go in and finish the job, so that all of Korea can be free. And if China doesn't like it, we can ask them if they want some of it, too.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
gunsmoker said:
Hold on: Some other website (last updated 2 p.m. today) says that South Korea admits that its side fired the first round of shells.
I don't believe S. Korea fired any rounds at the N. Korean mainland. South Korea was firing rounds in the opposite direction, unfortunately from contested land, and without notifying N. Korea.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Phil1979 said:
We should go in and finish the job, so that all of Korea can be free. And if China doesn't like it, we can ask them if they want some of it, too.
Never forget for a minute that China has tons of ICBMs that would easily reach our heartland. On top of that, and presuming we destroyed them, we'd get to pay the cost of reconstruction on top of what we already owe them. Of course, if there were no people left to claim the debt? :sly:

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
For those that would suggest we "go in" or "invade them", it's not possible. We don't have an armed force large enough. It would be strictly an air war and likely nuclear.

·
Dei Gratia
2,907 Posts
CountryGun said:
Phil1979 said:
Never forget for a minute that China has tons of ICBMs that would easily reach our heartland. On top of that, and presuming we destroyed them, we'd get to pay the cost of reconstruction on top of what we already owe them. Of course, if there were no people left to claim the debt? :sly:
The whole reconstruction thing is fairly modern. Just say no.

I've never understood why we do that. Once you defeat an enemy why build him up? :screwy:

·
Dei Gratia
2,907 Posts
suttree said:
S. Korea claims it was an exercise, training etc. I say give them both really short range nukes and stand back and watch the show. It would never work, but it would be fun to watch. Their are several other places around the world where I think this would be fitting. If we could just get the fallout to stay in one place. Sigh.
Neutron bombs.

clean, efficient, practical.

Heck, they're GREEN!

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Phil1979 said:
You may be correct, however, maybe we should concern ourselves with stopping the tyranny in the USA and reclaim our freedom first?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts