Skins (and Parenting)

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by bdee, Jan 22, 2011.

1. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

I know this is all the outrage. And that said, I have no intention of watching it. Actually I haven't watched MTV since they stopped showing music videos. Wow that takes me back a while huh? :lol:

But in my mind this is not a programming issue, but a parenting one. Keep an eye on your kids and if you don't want them to watch something don't let them. Every cable and satellite provider has parental control, and just block MTV.

It seems that this is just a bunch of conservatives that want someone else to do the parenting for them.

Here is MTV's defense:
    http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... lem-skins/

2. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

And while I am on my rant, what kind of parent allows their children/ teenagers to have a computer or TV in their own room. Let them both be in the living room where there can be supervision.

Second, what kind of parent gives a kid a cell phone? If you do allow one shouldn't they only have access to numbers you approve of? Like for emergencies only?

3. lynx

lynx Member

I haven't seen the show in question, so I suppose I should just keep my mouth shut, but given what I've heard about it... what the heck are the parents of the kids "starring" in the show thinking?

4. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I guess I am one of 'those' parents.... After a slight bump over ten years ago, both my children have a computer in their rooms, and have for along while. It's about trust and values.

As for TV? Anything broadcast is OK for them to watch. We may have had to 'splain some things, but that is parenting. They have the values to watch and understand anything they wish. If it is on when they are normally allowed to watch tv, then they make that descison, and always have. Now, it seems, they have to explain more to dear old dad, than I ever had to expalin to either of them....

Both kids had cell phones since they started playing competitive softball long ago. I'll not have my daughters stranded anywhere, without the ability to call me for help, or for me to call them. Especially if something happens at the ball park and they have no way to control it. One time I left my youngest with a trusted friend, only to have that friend lose her to another 'friend' that was well-meaning but specifically NOT to have my child. However, nobody bothered to tell me where my daughter actually was. I was spitting nails and about to tear down the Bells Ferry Area with the police looking for her. This other mother took her to a carnival without my permission, and turned a 10 minute scheduling conflict into a horrific 3 hours. I decided then this 8 year old should have her own phone.

Heck, my youngest has her own S&W she may access at any time.

When they start to work out of the home, and you get that call.... "Daddy, I need help with my car.".... How fast can Daddy get there to help the 16 year old?

Again, they know the rules about costs, and they have always lived within that guideline. They were allowed to talk freely to any friend for any length of time as long as it was cell-to-cell no charge att. I trust my kids implicitly. Now that they are young women, they make their own choices.

5. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

My daughter is 4 years old and has a TV in her room? So I'd be a little careful assuming anything.

First of all its on a high dresser and second of all she has no idea how to change channels via the cable box remote. So the only thing she can watch is what we put on, or a DVD we put in.

Generally she watches TV in the living room, but she earns the right to watch some Spongebob while going to bed if she has had a good day.

Just saying, be careful what you say about peoples parenting... :righton:

6. AV8R

AV8R Banned

See, bdee, we agree on more than you probably think. :D

TV while going to bed (as in falling asleep to TV?) [-X Especially for a four year old. This is just my opinion and it is backed up by studies that show it interferes with sleep patterns. Despite the emoticon I used, I'm not shaming you or questioning your skills. You know what's best for your kid, not me.

7. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

calm down adolf.....

8. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

My kid generally sleeps 9pm to 8am no problems.

She usually watches TV in her room from 8pm to 9pm - sometimes she still awake when I turned it off, sometimes she's fallen asleep due to a busy day.

These studies you speak of, I have no run into this problem at all.

As long as my kid is good, eventually gets good grades, doesnt do drugs and is a productive member of society, then falling asleep with a TV playing is the least of my worries. :)

9. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

My thought is that a cell phone that has access to only numbers you approve of still applies.
    I personally wouldn't give a 4 year old her own TV, but it's your daughter, not mine.

And for any parent who disagrees and thinks this is a programming question, I say there are way you can control what your kid watches. And if you want to monitor what your kid is exposed to, then there are ways to do that. But it's harder if they can close the door on your supervision.

10. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

agreed. thats what happens when we do silly things like *gasp* trusting our children

11. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

??

Does that mean you would let your teenager do all those things? Full access to everything on the internet, watch whatever they want behind closed doors? Fully pay for all of their cell time when they should be paying attention in class?

Wow if that makes me Hitler......

12. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

i understand what your saying, and its not a new idea. i first saw it in old news reels from the 1930's, but it was hard to understand because the narration was in german..........

13. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Is the time to start cracking down AFTER these problems develop?

14. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Godwins law prevails once more...

15. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

i dont have a teenager.... he is only 8 right now. he has a computer in his room, which he uses to play a game here and there, and he draws pictures in mspaint. the computer also has internet on it, but he only uses it to listen to pandora music while he is drawing. and he has no cellphone, which even if he did they arent allowed int he schools here.

16. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

I am sure lot's of people think the way you do. Good thing there are no problems with the kids in our society.[/sarcasm]

17. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

no it is not..... BUT... constantly monitoring every aspect of every minute of your childs life is a good way to really destroy their confidence and self esteem.... believe me, i was raised that way and i know. i have a special kind of hatred for my mother due to the way i was raised.

18. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

:lol:
    someone had to go there.

19. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

i know there are problems with kids these days. kids learn better from life lessons, than they do from having it hammered into their head their whole life. i guess your kid never loses the game, he/she just doesnt win..... right?

20. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Ahhhhh... The surprised parent! "My kid does not do these things! "

"What? She does!?"

Hence, the crux of 'parenting'.... I always knew what my kids were doing. I know now what they are doing. I do not allow surprises in my house. When there is a surprise, it is not pretty, and hence, there are no surprises!

Even when they were young, I could pull up a list of everything that went through the router. I rarely had to. I could verify anything, anytime.

Parenting is so much more than simply following around your kids' tracks and saying that they are being 'parented'. It is about holding their hands and guiding wherever they go, and leading them back out once they get there if it is unhealthy. Letting them explore on their own and installing good values and having a relationship with them is really being a parent. Make no mistake... kids will explore on their own, no matter your objection. Let their powers of reason get a workout. So many times, them as a grade schooler, I was asked mature questions. I simply guided their thoughts through careful exploration and logic. I laid down the law as well. They were pretty smart, all in all!

It is best IMnsHO to allow it and be there to explain and take them back to the light of day when needed.

Too many of my kids' friends have children of their own, long before anyone thought to bring up that subject. Kids having kids.... Never mind explaining the groping on MTV, explain to your 13 year old how exactly her friend cannot play softball on the team any more because she had no babysitter!

Yeah, my kids "Got it!"