Simply Horrifying

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I will not post the entire article here, but a link. posted by Clayton at 10:40 PM

Simply horrifying what went on in the stadium in New Orleans. Read it and weep.

2. Malum Prohibitum

3. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I would say that one would have been safer by staying in their home and taking a chance with the storm than staying in the superdome and taking your chances with the roving gangs.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It is no wonder my sister does not want to move back to New Orleans. She is temporary renting a house in Houston right now because her house in NO is under water.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Hmm m m . . .

National Enquirer Stories Picked up by AP?

Clayton Cramer updates his article:

The Horrifying Reports of Violent Crimes in New Orleans...

Are largely evaporating, it seems:

After five days managing near-riots, medical horrors and unspeakable living conditions inside the Superdome, Louisiana National Guard Col. Thomas Beron prepared to hand over the dead to representatives of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Following days of internationally reported killings, rapes and gang violence inside the Dome, the doctor from FEMA - Beron doesn't remember his name - came prepared for a grisly scene: He brought a refrigerated 18-wheeler and three doctors to process bodies.

"I've got a report of 200 bodies in the Dome," Beron recalls the doctor saying.

The real total was six, Beron said.

Of those, four died of natural causes, one overdosed and another jumped to his death in an apparent suicide, said Beron, who personally oversaw the turning over of bodies from a Dome freezer, where they lay atop melting bags of ice. State health department officials in charge of body recovery put the official death count at the Dome at 10, but Beron said the other four bodies were found in the street near the Dome, not inside it. Both sources said no one had been killed inside.

At the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, just four bodies were recovered, despites reports of corpses piled inside the building. Only one of the dead appeared to have been slain, said health and law enforcement officials.

Back on September 6, I quoted a number of news stories with horrifying first-hand accounts, quoting identifiable eyewitnesses. I am deeply troubled by this: either reporters were making stuff up, or they were quoting liars--and multiple liars who told roughly similar stories of what was going on in the Superdome--or there's a coverup going on now. Either way, this doesn't speak well for the journalism profession.

posted by Clayton at 9:25 AM

6. Malum Prohibitum

Turning out to be urban legend, quickly spread by the internet and email?