Silver Comet trail??

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Taurus, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Taurus

Taurus New Member

It seems like in the last 2 weeks , there have been 2 violent crimes on Silver Comet trail....First was last week or so, when a woman fended off an attacker and escapaed, thankfully...Today, they just found a body of someone presumed to be Jennifer Ewing, who went missing yesterday when she went on a bike ride down Silver Comet...

Would these women have the ability to carry on the Silver Comet trail, or is it off limits? It seems like more of these violent attackers are preying on people at parks, and trails, etc...

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

What has control over the maintenance and law enforcment on the trail? Unless it is a state park or WMA (or crosses over them) I would say that it is not off limits.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Carry while exercising

As a general rule, women should carry a defensive weapon while exercising outdoors. This is particularly true of rural running trails in the woods, where you're miles from civilization, where your cellphone won't get a signal, where you only encounter other people occasionally, and where the only "law enforcement" is a park ranger who has something like 2000 acres of land to cover.

The eastern side (Smyrna, Mableton) side of the Silver Comet Trail tends to be pretty crowded on nice days, but the western parts of it (near Rockmart) get pretty lonely and barren.

I'm not saying that I know if it's legal or illegal. I do know that I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six. (If I were a woman, I'd certainly carry. Women are a lot more vulnerable than a beefy guy like me).

4. ber950

ber950 Active Member

PATH established a partnership between the State, three counties, four cities and several interest groups in 1998 for the purpose of building a trail between Atlanta and the Alabama state line on the abandoned Seaboard Coastline railroad owned by the Georgia DOT. The DOT graciously agreed to have the trail on the right-of-way originally purchased for future commuter rail.

http://www.pathfoundation.org/about/index.cfm

It looks like DOT owns the land and a Conservancy group runs the trail

5. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

When I was in High School at Mceachern in Powder Springs we had a law enforcment class and the teacher was a Powder Springs Police Officer part time. From what I remember for the section that runs in Cobb County through Powder Springs, the Powder Springs police ride bikes up and down it. They even had a article in the local paper some time ago about there unit on bikes that covers there part of the trails.

So I know for a fact that part is covered by the local police department to answer Gunstar1's question on who has control over law enforcment on the trail.

6. Taurus

Taurus New Member

See that's where it is unclear to me in regards to these crazy off limit laws...It's not a park or a national forest, but appears to be state run...

7. ber950

ber950 Active Member

http://www.trailexpress.com/silvercomet/facts.php

I don't think the posting is legal. It looks just like a county park that is posted. Preempted :!:

:ianal:

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

If the DOT owns it, I would think you are as legal to carry as if you were on a public roadway.

Alcohol, then is covered by state law, as are drugs (do they really need a sign to tell people not to smoke crack on the Silver Comet Trail? :roll: )

Firearms should be covered by state law as well.

Maybe somebody could call Powder Springs and ask if the Silver Comet Trail has its own ordinances (like Stone Mountain Confederate Memorial Association) of if they just enforce state law, without referring to firearms, of course.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

In that case it is pretty simple, don't go into any publicly owned buildings along the trail.

The trail itself is not a building. It is not a "state park" or WMA since it is not operated by the Department of Natural Resources. As long as there is no sporting event, church function, or political function being held on the trail I cannot think of another reason it would be off limits.

In fact being a DOT right of way could mean that whatever land it crosses is its own, even if going through a state park. Meaning while you are on the trail and keep on the trail, the land that surrounds you can be off-limits and it wouldn't matter. WMA's may have a similar thing as Federal Forest where the land is DOT and the trees and wildlife are WMA.

10. Malum Prohibitum

11. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Just FYI, there is a part of the trail in Paulding County that DOES go through the Paulding Forest WMA.

P.S. Did anyone happen to catch the last hour of the Neal Boortz show today? He went off all over this and said that this situation is the entire reason why carrying of guns should be allowed. He didn't speculate as to where there was a state law aganist having a firearm on the trail, but he did acknowledge the policy on the trail website and stated that next time he is on the trail, he would be packin.

On another interesting note, he took calls on the subject and he took a call from a guy here in Atlanta that has a GFL and he goes to school in Atlanta. He admitted to Boortz, on the air, that he intentionally breaks the law by carrying a pistol onboard MARTA when going to and from school. :shock: He said that he knows its a felony, but to him its worth the risk to protect himself and his girlfriend whenever they use MARTA or leave school after night classes. How do you like them apples?!

12. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Just got off the phone with Powder Springs Police Department. The lady said that it doesn't have any special ordinances. She said that state law, county law and city law is what goes into effect. She said it is a state law that it closes at dusk and opens at dawn. And that is the only special law she knows about in regards to the trail.

13. Taurus

Taurus New Member

LOL...good grief, got it all right there...Pro-gun, anti-gun and everything in the middle...

I do hope it was not foul play, but as usual, it most likely is...

David, thanks for checking into that...

Still wondering the about the "No firearm sign"...Maybe the sign just means "No firearms are required to enter trail, but are optional", but they ran out of space on the sign....

14. Malum Prohibitum

Thanks, ls1ssdavid. I wonder where the state law is that it closes at dusk?

15. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

With what the PSPD said about laws on the trail I would assume it is Lawful to carry on the trails. Seeing that State law is what covers firearms. But wait could it be a PUBLIC GATHERING if you are running with a buddy?! :shock: It does say on trail express.com to use the buddy system on the trail.

16. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Hey, I may be 500 miles away from Georgia, but I do what I can.

17. Malum Prohibitum

18. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

:shock: on MARTA AND at school!!! I'm sorta in the same boat but I don't break the law. Even though I've been tempted to many many times. I've seen too much on MARTA and North Ave.

For the Trail thing, how would most of you carry while riding? Fanny pack?? Open carry? :) I'm not much of a bike rider, just curious.

19. Malum Prohibitum

No need to ride a bike.
    You can walk on it, too, or even ride horses, but, to answer your question, OWB under a T-shirt.