Silencer

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by kestak, Nov 15, 2010.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I want to buy a silencer for a m1a.

Which one should i buy, and where should i buy it?

I would really a place where i can just call, give my credit card number et they guide me thriugh the process then ship the part if possible.

2. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

3. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Not sure where you are located, but Bullseye in Lawrenceville is a class III dealer and has silencers in stock. Pretty sure they have someone that works there that can help you get the paperwork and everything done to go with the purchase.

4. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

They will assist you in setting up a trust.

5. Jonboy

Jonboy New Member

Smart to prepare yourself for the Walking Dead

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Talk to Derek at 400 Jewelry and Loan in Dawsonville or Chris at Semper Fi arms in Canton and they can help you.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I would NOT let them help you set up a trust. By doing so they are violating state law, buy giving legal advise without a license/being a bar member.

8. Metalheadisme

Metalheadisme New Member

For the zombie apocalypse, you want several suppressed .22lr firearms. Suppressed .308 will still be plenty loud to attract the shambling hordes. That, and you'll need a crowbar.

Speaking of which, any specific reason you are seeking to suppress .308? I don't know what new stuff they have out nowadays, but the only suppressed .308 I heard was still intense.

9. JMan

JMan New Member

How do anyone even know for a fact they could hear/attracted to sound period. It's so funny reading post like this , zoombies bahahahahaha what a joke ! :lol:

how about planning on plant of the apes ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I believe AAC made M1A QD flash hiders for their 7.62sd can. Fisher made/makes cans for the M1A but from all accounts are fairly loud when compared to their competitors.

11. Metalheadisme

Metalheadisme New Member

It is a joke actually. :p

More of a reference to the Max Brooks books actually if you ever read them (especially the crowbar part).

12. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

No, you can't just call up some Class 3 dealer and give your credit card number and let them do all the paperwork and just ship you the silencer later when BATF approves your application.

It has to be YOUR application. How much paperwork is involved and who you need to show it to will depend whether you create a "trust" to own the silencer (and you, the trustee, will have possession and use rights to the silencer) or whether you just apply to own it in your own name, personally. I got all my NFA toys on Form 1's and Form 4's personally registered, no trusts. It's not a big deal if the number of NFA toys you want to own is small.

Anyhow, bottom line is that you have to be actively involved in the process. And I'd start by visiting some local NFA weapons dealers in person and talking with them and looking at their products. If they don't have exactly what you want in stock, they can probably show you some other silencer by the same company, and then order the specific model you want.

13. 11b101abn

11b101abn Member

As much as I love the platform, it really does not lend itself to suppression very well at all.

Looks dead sexy though.

14. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Just what I was thinking. I'd rather get one for an AR that will work with 5.56mm and with a .22LR conversion BCG.

M1A will just go from BANG! to BANG! :lol:

15. EmergencyNrse

EmergencyNrse Member

Apart from all the joking. "We often mock what we do not understand".
    A .30 cal suppressor actually does a really GOOD job.

For all you mall-ninjas out there a can is more for noise reduction.
    Never meant to be truly "silent". My JET titanium suppressor
    allows me to shoot .308 w/o hearing protection. Actually adds a little
    "push" to my muzzle velocity.
    This is a health/safety issue more so than an ultra tacticool device for looks.

AAC has a good selection of suppressors, there's JET, Gemtech, SureFire...
    Dave Sailors @ Liberty Suppressors can actually make one
    custom for you. He's a great guy and does quality work.
    He's local too. Lives right here in Georgia.

Happy hunting.

[​IMG]

16. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I too wonder how many people here who have commented have actually fired a 308 round through a can before.
    I have fired 308/300 Win Mag rounds multiple times through cans before (SWR Omega and AAC 7.62 SD) They are not "Hollywood" quiet, but they allow for shooting without hearing protection, and in most cases a person at a distance will not likely readily determine it is a gunshot from a high powered rifle.
    The M1A platform can be problematic, but as mentioned AAC makes mounts for the host weapon in the OP.

FWIW, I am the proud owner of two 7.62SD cans, and I like them a lot.

17. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

We're ignorant mall ninjas because we question the utility of a particular suppressor application? What I do understand is PHYSICS. Sure it will be a lot quieter...but any supersonic round will still be quite loud. Most folks that want cans want guns that are pretty quiet, not just from 120db to 100db. the point is to be less observable, right? You don't get much of that from a .308 rifle, unless your target is 1000 yards away. You might be able to find or load subsonic .308 ammo, but then you're not really shooting .308 anymore, are you?

IMO cans work best on round that are subsonic to begin with. .45ACP does VERY well with a can, for example.

18. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I was told by some guys that have .308 silenced that it can actually be very quiet with the right can and sub-sonic ammo.

19. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I don't have any first-hand experience with .308 silencers / suppressors / cans, but...
    ... but I did stand next to somebody shooting an AR carbine in .223 (not a .22LR coversion) with full-power .223 or 5.56mm ammo.
    It was not too loud, and it didn't sound like a gun. I didn't hear the "supersonic crack". What I heard was a "thud" or "poof" sound that was like a sudden rush of air. I recall it sounded like a pneumatic jackhammer cycling (it was a full auto weapon shooting bursts).

BOTTOM LINE: The supersonic crack isn't all it's cracked up to be. Silencers can help cut down the noise signature of a high powered rifle a LOT.

20. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

7.4 grains of TrailBoss behind a 168 grn bullet is dead quiet in a 308
    4.7 grains of TrailBoss behind a 68 grn bullet is dead quiet in a .223

Both are accurate, and hit hard enough to solve whatever your problem may be at reasonable ranges.

7.62 can is a thing of beauty, only to be appreciated by those who spend time with it