Silencer....

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by luke0927, Apr 21, 2007.

1. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

I haven't really looked into this much but was just pondering....with all the new subdivision going up around my house i thought about maybe gettin a silencer for my 22 mag or one of my smaller calibers just so i can shoot around the house and not worry about whinny neighbors....

for silencer you have to pay a extra tax and go through more background checks? so now say i get a silencer can any gunsmith tap a barrel for one.....i would really like to have one but it just seems that if you go requesting one you may get people all into your business if you know what i mean...."what does he need this for....only killers use silencers" just the crap you could imagine anti's saying.....

anyone have silencers?

2. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

What dealers in Georgia sell suppressors?

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Advanced Armament Co.

Advanced Armament Co (AAC) of Lilburn, GA (Gwinnett Co, a suburb of Atlanta) is a Class 3 manufacturer of machineguns and silencers. They have a retail store, too. I don't know if they sell to the public directly, but you can call 'em and ask. There's a dealer in Cumming, Sullivan's Classic Arms and Militaria, who is a non-stocking dealer for AAC suppressors. He'll show you the catalog and order one for you, and when it arrives he'll get your application for a Form 4 (transfer of an NFA weapon) and mail it to the BATF guys. A year later when you finally get the approved Form 4 with the $200 tax stamp attached, you can pick up the suppressor that you paid for back on Day 1.

P.S. Mr. Sullivan does gunsmithing and has a machine shop at his store in Cumming. He can do precision threads on a barrel for as little as $100 for a simple job. He also sells, or can make, a thread adapter in case your gun comes with a threaded muzzle (assuming that the threads are accurate and properly aligned with the bore-- any misalignment will cause the bullet to tear up the baffles inside your suppressor).

4. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Cool i thought you had to have a suppresor for each caliber.....so then do you have to take the gun to a gun smith for it to be mounted? how do they go on the barrel?

I actullay want to use to help teach younger shooters....that way they don't have the noise to be afraid of....even with hearing protection younger kids can be afraid of the noise.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You may still be breaking the law, though. You really need to check the county ordinances (or city) where you live.

6. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Im not in the city thank god but i will look into this more; im in Forsyth County.

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Isn't that a violation of 16-11-123?

A person commits the offense of unlawful possession of firearms or weapons when he or she knowingly has in his or her possession any sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer, and, upon conviction thereof, he or she shall be punished by imprisonment for a period of five years.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Don't feel bad gsusnake, you would be shocked how many police officers don't know this.

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

That's why I asked, I didn't know.

And the more I know about the law and can talk intelligently about it, the less likely I am to have a repeat of my incident in Savannah (I hope)

10. Malum Prohibitum

It does not appear from the limited description that you violated any laws in Savannah, as your liberty today demonstrates.