Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The OP on GT edited his post and added some details.

The gun was a department issued side arm and was being shot on the range for qualification. The officer was shooting factory ammo and had already fired several rounds before the incident. From what I was told the officer had been having severe problems with the gun malfuntioning, they didn't say what type of malfuntion he was having though.
I agree, it sounds like a squib and another round fired.

·
Registered
374 Posts
No way could a Sig ever malfunction. That photo must have been doctored :wink:

Actually, I saw the same thing happen to a 2340/.357 in the early 2000's. The cause was a squib, followed by another round in rapid fire. Looked much the same, except the barrel wasn't bent.

Reaction from the guy (who was an instructor) was that he was glad the FRONT of the slide was what gave out, rather than the frame.

This can happen to any firearm. Had a guy the other day who blew up a nice Browning A-Bolt with a 7mm squib. He ended up with stitches in his forehead, but the gun was just destroyed. The only part not broken was the scope.

·
Registered
391 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
Can't you usually tell by the difference in sound/recoil? I know with the rapid fire it may be difficult to, though.
You can, but until it's happened to you, how do you know what it is you're looking for? Less recoil? How much less recoil is "less enough"?

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
rajl said:
ptsmith24 said:
Can't you usually tell by the difference in sound/recoil? I know with the rapid fire it may be difficult to, though.
You can, but until it's happened to you, how do you know what it is you're looking for? Less recoil? How much less recoil is "less enough"?
I think it's a good idea to check if something doesn't feel right anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts