Sights for a home defense shotgun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by martin_j001, Sep 26, 2010.

1. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Looking to possibly put some night sights on the Rem 870 20 gauge I recently picked up. Pretty much its only use will be occasional range practice and the home defense gun. I'm thinking something like the XS 24/7 Express setup that is shown on this page because I think that particular setup would be very easy to acquire the sights in the dark and under stress. That being said, for anyone that has a home defense shotgun, what's your sight setup and reasoning behind that choice.

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

flashlight mounted to the gun.
    Where the light spot hits, that's where the shot will land (roughly, give or take a few inches at across-the-room distances).
    And you can ID your target before blowing it away.

3. martin_j001

That's a good thought too. Probably cheaper than any kind of tritium sights too. IIRC, you had mentioned before that there are decent flashlights with pressure switches available for around $75 or so--any specific brands or sites to check out? I've seen the Pelican M6 and pressure switch for just over that. The Surefire models for a Remington 870 are ridiculously priced, imo. Something like this?

4. TD1968

TD1968 New Member

5. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

My Mossberg SPX wears fiber optic on the front sight and a mini-red-dot on the rail just ahead of the ghost ring. If my head is down on the comb, then the red dot is just barely above the front sight, I figure that's close enough.

6. no clever name

no clever name New Member

I got the scattergun tech ghost ring sights for my 1100. If I had it to do over I'd just get a front sight like is on one of my sigs, IIRC they're made by truglo. Anyway it's a fiber optic with a tritium insert.

The tritium vials on the ghost ring are so small it has to be almost completely dark before you can find them quickly. The front it ok but that fiber optic and tritium on my sig is so much easier to find in the dark. If anybody makes one like for for shotguns I'd seriously consider it.

7. Viking

Viking New Member

Honestly, I don't know why you would need night sites for a home defense shotgun. Will you be using slugs? :D

Also, my brother in law (former LEO, now a attorney and gun lover) told me over the weekend that when he was in law enforcement (long ago) instructors would teach where the light is, is where the bad guys will shoot. Makes sense to me.

8. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

I put the TruGlo TFO (tritium/fiber optic) on my Winchester 1300. It's large & bright in dark/dim light. It does sit slightly high on the barrel for my tastes, but I ran a tactical SG course w/no issues. The barrel does need to be tapped & threaded for installation however.

[​IMG]

9. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

I agree. :righton:

Regardless of what sights are on your shotty, you'll more than likely need a good weapon light to first blind/disorient, ID, then see the sights on the target if you need to fire. :wink:

That being said, I have the stock ghost ring sights that came with my Benelli M1. A Surefire weapon light rides on the foregrip.

10. no clever name

no clever name New Member

Have you ever patterned you shotgun at the typical shot distances for your home?

My longest possible shot is 28', at that distance 2 3/4" OO bucks pattern is right at 3" out of my gun. At any distance under 20' OO buck is in fact acting just like a slug.

That's one of the biggest misconceptions of shotguns, people think they'll just point it down a hall and blow away anything there. At typical home defense distances you absolutely have to aim because it is just like shooting slugs.

11. Ty D

Ty D New Member

How about throwing a RDS on there? A Burris Speed Bead? Personally, I'm tossing around the idea of an Aimtech saddle mount and a red dot for my Nova.

12. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

:exactly: :goodpost:

13. martin_j001

I've shot ours at 15-20 feet, and with #3 buckshot, it patterned at around 3"-5" in most cases. So yeah, I do want a way to be able to aim it other than just pointing it in a general direction....you might get lucky shooting that way, but why waste the ammo.

14. Viking

Viking New Member

I never thought of it that way but then again I would probably shoot multiple times with bird shot :)

15. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

During shotgun qualification each year, we have to hit center mass on man-size targets at distances from 7 - 25 yards with both 00 buckshot and rifled slugs from 14 and 18 inch barrel weapons, using nothing more than a firmly planted cheek and the front bead of a tactical shotgun. Yes, it is easier if the shotgun has rifle sights on it, but it is not an absolute necessity.

16. moga

moga New Member

The possibility of battling multiple intruders with a limited capacity firearm dictates conservation of ammo IMO. Plus the less lead that there is flying, the lower the chance of contact with someone other than its intended backstop. At least that holds true in my urban AO.

I personally would choose another weapon to use if my 12gHD didn't have a light. The stick I settled on has ghost sights on it because I too have determined through practical trial that aiming IS crucial at the typical contact distance of seven yards or less. Aim small, miss small. Eventually, I'm going to replace the reflex sight that used to call the riotgun home with a EoTech, but until then the irons are just fine.

Mossberg 590SP/Fenix TK11.

17. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

[​IMG]

Get a tactical light... Night Sights won't show you what you're aiming at.

18. 11b101abn

11b101abn Member

If you are serious about equipping your shotgun to fight, the Surefire is the option you should choose.

19. martin_j001

What light setup is that?

[quote="11b101abn]

If you are serious about equipping your shotgun to fight, the Surefire is the option you should choose.[/quote]

You buying? :) I'm not on a swat team or in the military, so I'm not equipping a shotgun to fight. Don't feel I really need to spend more on the light (the combo pump/lights cost like $400) than I did the gun. :righton: