Sighting in?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by kkennett, Jan 8, 2007.

1. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Just got back from duck hunting in Arkansas. Hunting was slow, but that's another issue. :( We pulled up to hunt one flooded rice field with our guide after lunch and this ol' boy at the adjacent house had a new rifle that he was 'sighting in' for his upcoming hog hunting trip to Texas. With very few breaks, this guy proceeded to shoot a round about every 30 seconds to 1 minute, with essentially no breaks, for the next 3 1/2 hours. :roll: I tell you, that guy is ready. If it's not on target now, it never will be. :p

2. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe New Member

He's just training for those highly skilled and organized hogs that attack "en masse" :shock:

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Why did your guide not move you to another blind?

4. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Our blind we were going to was about 1/2 mile away. This time of year in Stuttgart, AR, 1/2 mile from the nearest shooting is pretty good! Across that plain, you can hear shots from many miles away.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Two years ago, I went to Stuttgart for two and a half days with a friend and two labrador retrievers. Two and a half days is basically 5 hunts (we returned to Atlanta after the morning hunt). We returned with 42 ducks and two geese.

6. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Returned with 4 gadwall (and the two labradors we took) in 4 hunts (2 full days). It is really slow this year. No winter yet further north in the MS flyway. While there are thousands of snow geese there, there are not many ducks. My girl (lab) did have a few great retrieves, though. I dearly love to watch the dogs work. Not the best year in Stuttgart, by far.

7. Malum Prohibitum

8. kkennett

kkennett New Member

I am not a member. I just looked over their website and may well give them a call. I have vigorously trained my girl and I bet she could make the requirements for senior hunter. She's only 2 1/2, so master hunter will take a bit more. She is registered, but spayed, so while that does not disqualify her from hunt and field tests, the import is somewhat less because I am not trying to breed her and sell pups.

9. Malum Prohibitum

The president is the guy with whom I went shooting ducks in Stuttgart.

10. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Funny Labs never came up here before! I am a Lab guy too. Here's a picture of my huntin buddy Keefer. He is a JKC Lab of British bloodlines and hands down the smartest dog I have ever owned.

[​IMG]

11. Malum Prohibitum

12. Malum Prohibitum

13. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Great pics! Someday I'll figure out how to post some :screwy:

14. Malum Prohibitum

(1) Right click on picture

(2) Select "properties" at the bottom of the tool bar

(3) Cut and paste the address (ending with .jpg) onto your post, then highlight it with the Img button, and that is it.

15. kkennett

kkennett New Member

I don't have a web accessible location to post the picture to, then reference. I might be missing something.

Anyway, your friend has some beautiful looking dogs. My girl is an English/British variety and a real beauty queen, in addition to a helluva hunter. If you can't tell, I'm in love! His discussion of temperament is spot-on to my experience of British labs. I hunt with a bunch of Americans, and they are bit more high strung generally.

16. kkennett

kkennett New Member

OK, here goes. Us in Stuttgart last weekend.

[​IMG]

17. Malum Prohibitum

By the way, I am the guy on the right. I assume you are the one on the right, too?

18. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Yes, I am the pretty one on the right in the black and orange :D The one on the left is my sidekick!

19. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

In mine I'm the one in the mouth.... :lol: