Sig 229 vs. 229R

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bulldawg182, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Guys, as usual I'm a little confused. I assumed the "R" designation signifies an accessory rail but do not see any difference on Sig's web site between what they show as a "229" and the photo of the "229R". I'm in the process of hunting for a good OWB holster for the weapon you see below and assume there might be a difference in holster sizes for 229s vs 229Rs. So, 2 questions:
    1. is this gun a 229 or a 229R
    2.if you happen to have a decent OWB for this gun, please let me know
    [​IMG]

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

That's the "R" model. It has a rail.

Anything made for a P226R will also work for that. The only difference I've noticed between the 226 and the 229 is the length of the barrel, and the difference in magazines (229 will take 226 mags but not the other way around).

Before I sold my 229, I bought a Blackhawk CQC and a Bianchi Carry-Lok, both labeled "Sig 220/226" that the 229 fit perfectly in. I don't like the CQC due to lack of active retention but I love the Carry-Lok.

As far as I know, the only difference between holsters made for the railed version and the non-railed version would be the molding. Looking at the Carry-Lok, which is made of leather, I don't think it would be a problem. The CQC, however, might have a problem since it is Kydex or something similar.

Hope that helps clear things up a bit.

Oh, and did I mention that gun is beautiful? :love: :love: :love:

3. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Not sure what you definition of "decent" is, but I have a "Bianchi Model 7001 – AccuMold® Thumbsnap Holster" that is relatively inexpensive and adequately functional. The only "issues" I have with it are: that it's kinda ugly and (having only the single beltloop) it tends to wander around a bit unless I keep my belt super tight on my hips. I do like it's adjustability because it can also fit my Mosquito.

4. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

5. Bulldawg182

Thanks for the replies. So it appears leather holsters for the P226, P226R, P229 & P229R should all work for my gun and anything in kydex should be ordered specifically for the P229R model. Is that correct? I've seen many private ads on various forums advertising leather holsters for "P226 without rails" or "P229 without rails" which either indicate a contradictory opinion or they just don't know any better.

:lol:

6. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I thought the 229 was single stack, or at least had thinner magazines.

7. gsusnake

When I owned both, I put the 226 mags in my 229 and ran rounds through it without a single problem.

8. gsusnake

Well, if you're ordering it, I'd say order a holster for exactly what you've got.

I got both of mine by just walking into the store.

9. VolGrad

I can't remember which holster site I was looking at but they showed both 229r and 229 *edit* with rails on the drop down box. I e-mailed and asked what the difference was. They replied "no difference", just trying to reduce confusion since nobody seemed to know what the R model was.

10. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

If yo can hold on I think I have a few holsters for the 229R. I will have to dig around inthe storage unit.

11. Bulldawg182

UDAMAN!!!

12. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

At least you and your wife agree on one thing. :lol:

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:shock:

14. Bulldawg182

Dude....come up with the right holster from that storage unit and we'll talk! :lol: 8) :D

15. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

The P239 is a single stack

16. VolGrad

Somewhat related to this thread - We have discussed holster compatibility between Sig 226/229s. The Fobus Kydex paddle I had, both fit perfectly fine in. I questioned Comp-Tac if theirs would work for both also. The CS rep. I e-mailed with stated they allow a variance of .004" for their products to work. He stated that there were no less than 8 points on the 229 that were .01" or more variance, thus making their holsters not fit both guns in the same holster. Most noticeably,he stated the slide on the 229 was 1/10th of an inch wider than the 226. He said order for what you want.

I then e-mailed Sig for their opinion. Following is the response I rec'd. Slightly differing opinion.

VOLGRAD,
    Thank you for your email.
    The overall Width is the same between the 226 & 229, the overall height and length are different, however. We have all the specs for every model listed on our website: http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogCategory.aspx?categoryid=1
    Sincerely,
    Victoria Martin
    Sigarms Technical Assistance
    18 Industrial Drive
    Exeter, NH 03833
    (603) 418-8158
    [email protected]

I am sure most leather would work for both since it would tend to mold or take the shape/size of the slightly larger gun over time.

17. budder

#-o I was trying out the 229 and the 239! So this is how Bulldawg feels all the time!

18. Bulldawg182

Ok, so which did you like better? I'm a total newbie to Sigs as you know. Heck, I've just been following Ramm around too long on this damned forum. If he buys another gun.....I'm giving up my membership! :lol: It only took about 20 rounds thru Sine Nomen's 229 and I was hooked.

19. budder

I liked the 239 better, though I prefer single-stacked guns since my hands are small. They're pretty similar.

20. VolGrad

I too have small hands but still liked the 229 better than the 239. The grips on the 239 seemed more square than rounded. It felt somewhat uncomfortable to me. But what do I know? I love the Glock 30 and everyone else seems to think it is too fat.

I hope I never shoot a 220. If I do, I am sure I will own one.